What's new

Should I get an EDTV? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my situation: I watch DVDs, video games (PS2 only) and analogue cable. There's not a very good chance I will be making the upgrade to HDTV any time soon. With all this SD that I am using, and how SD looks so crappy on HD sets, would a EDTV be a good option for me? I don't care about future-proofing, either. I am looking at 42" EDTVs. I don't even know what tech they are, plasma probably...

Thanks for the help.

John S

Senior HTF Member
ED displays are a totally acceptable way of displaying HD.... They are a great option for those that do view a lot of real HD.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I am saying there is no reason to not buy an ED TV, even when HD is considered into the mix.

John S

Senior HTF Member
PS: SD looks crappy on ED sets too by the way...
You shorten the phrase to SD looks crappy.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Like John said, EDTV (480p) will display a very nice HD image.....will be as goos as a true HD Display (720p +) of course not (unless of course you have the best EDTV and cheapest HDTV but that is for a different discussion). I think you will be happy with an EDTV. The Panny Plasmas are ver nice and can be had for around $2000 for a 42" set. And yes.....SD will look crappy on a lot of displays. Your image will only be as good as the source the signal is coming from. SD cable may not look great blown up to a 42" image.....Digital cable will look a bit better. DVD's and gaming will look just fine. Just make sure whatever you fook up...do not use composite cables....use DVI is possible or at least component cables.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have seen SD on HDTVs and didn't like it at all. Won't SD look better on an EDTV than on a HDTV? Frankly I don't think SD looks that bad on a standard CRT TV, but I want BIG and I want 16X9, because of all the DVDs I watch. I'd say it's 45% DVD, 45% analogue cable and 10% PS2 is what I watch. Like I said, I really think it's going to be a matter of YEARS until I make the change to HD. Right now I want the best picture I can get for my SD sources...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Somw HDTV's don't handle SD as well as others. Some EDTV's don't handle it as well as others either.

I don't think sd looks any better on an average on EDTV's than it does on HDTV's.....

On a more positive note, SD tend to look best on CRT displays in general. It is typically fixed pixel displays like Plasma, LCD, DLP that handle SD not so great.

I'm of the opinion the technology of the display has more of a bearing on this than weather it is ED or HD.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I've got a Zenith 42" plasms EDTV and couldn't be happier with it. I believe it's the same screen as the LG and Panasonic, could be wrong. SD doesn't look bad on it, but it does take a little getting used to. HD looks real good.

I have an upscaling DVD player and the pic is great. It actually looks best if I output it at 1080i. There's a definite improvement over 480p, and 720p just looks odd. I'm probably wrong, but I'm thinking the TV actually descales 1080i to 540p so it's got a bit better resolution over 480p.

It's a good compromise right now, I think. There's not enough HDTV content out there right now for me to worry about getting an HDTV. In a few years when there is more and TVs have improved even more I'll look at HDTV again.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, being a home theater related forum. Always go for the best you can afford. :)

If you have some products in particular, I'd run em by here and ask current owners for their opinion on how it handles SD.

As said, the bulky old CRT RP technology tends to handle sd the best.

I can't image a Panasonic HD Plasma looking any worse on HD than a Panasonic HD Plasma. I still lean towards Panasonic Plasma as after having dealings with a few different more bargain priced brands, the Panasonics have sort of won me over. I have not had one issue really with any of them, be it HD or ED panel from Panasonic.

I've had trouble with every Gateway I have ever encountered by comparisons.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, well it'll be a while before I get the scratch to buy it anyway, so I guess I'll just plan on getting a Plasam HD for now and do more research later on.

Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks