Should I get a TiVo, regardless?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Schmitz, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

Remembering to program the VCR's in my house is becoming a hassle, especially with the limited amounts of "save" spaces for record times. I'm thinking of getting two TiVos or something like it. But I've got a few questions I'ld like answered.
    1. I don't have a dish. I have AT&T Basic Cable right now. Barring getting a dish, should I upgrade to "Digital" cable before getting a TiVo? Or would the quality be negligible?
    2. Best Buy advertises TiVo (model #R14060), for $399.99. It holds 60 hours of programming. Should I get this model, or look for something better? Or look somewhere other than Best Buy?
    3. I am under the impression that TiVo can't record 480p or better. What kind of audio can it record/play back?
    4. The TV in the basement has a phone jack right next to it, but the one in the living room upstairs does not. Is there some way to hook the TiVo unit up to a phone line without stringing wires or installing a new jack? A RF remote plug from the back of the TiVo to a nearby room, or something like that?
    5. Can I record two programs at the same time on the same TiVo? Do I have to split the cable, or can the TiVo take care of it?
    6. For that matter, should I get TiVo, or some other type of PVR?[/list=1]
      Thanks in advance. [​IMG]
      Mike Schmitz,
      Englewood, CO

2. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

You should upgrade to digital cable if you want to get the extra services it offers. I have a PVR with basic cable, and some people use PVRs with simple OTA.

I don't believe there are any currently available PVRs that can tape two things at the same time, other than those that are integrated into satellite receivers.

You can either split the cable to do a pass-thru, like a VCR.

I considered getting 2 PVRs, but ended up finding that a Leapfrog that would let me use the PVR from other rooms was quite sufficient for my needs. Having 2 PVRs that weren't somehow networked seems like it would be pretty annoying -- every time I turned around, I'd be saying "I want to watch X, but it's on the machine downstairs..."

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I was under the impression that the Tivo2 models can record two things at once.

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Nope, just the DirecTv with Tivo units can.

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

1) Only if you want digital cable.

2) Best Buy is the only place to get TiVo currently, except tivo.com. They have free shipping right now. The AT&T Tivo, sold on Tivo's site, is probably a better value (it works with any cable service). 40 hours for $299.

3) No HDTV. Audio is stereo. Can't use DD through your receiver, because TiVo runs on a slight delay.

4) A wireless modem jack will do the trick.

5) You can't record two programs at the same time with the standalone, but you can record one thing while watching another, via splitting the cable.

6) Don't know the answer to that one. I love my TiVo, but I hear good things about Replay TV, too.

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Mike, Get the Tivo. I've had mine for just under 2 years and I couldn't live without it.

Jeff

7. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm. So basically, if I want to record two shows at once on one TiVo, I have to sign up for DirectTV? So maybe I should get a DirectTV setup in two rooms, both with TiVos that can record two shows at once? Almost sold, but I'll have to check on prices/monthly fees.

Now, what's this about a "Leapfrog?" Where can I find it, what does it do, how much does it cost, etc.? Or is this a type of device and not a brand?

Mike Schmitz,
    Englewood, CO

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

10. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

11. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Leapfrog is a device made by Terk which is the poor man's way of using the PVR in his bedroom.Here's an ad. I got mine at Best Buy as an open box special for about $45. There also exist wireless variations, but they cost more and have lower picture quality.
    Anyway, if you do a lot of recording and time-shifting then a PVR would certainly make sense. I don't know that I'd go to DirecTV just to get the integrated PVR unless I was leaning that way anyway. There are lots of comparisons of Replay and Tivo features; conventional wisdom is Tivo manages shows a bit better, Replay integrates with home networking and multiple units better, and Replay has auto commercial skip if that matters to you.

12. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I have 3 DirecTiVos in my entertainment center, I use a RS (leap frog) and a 4 x 2 remote controllable a/v switch box to transmit to my bed room. WAIT for the series 2 DirecTiVo that is reported to come out Oct 1. It will be $199 for 35 hours. It will record 2 things at once, in DD ant the PQ is SD but most likely better than your digital cable. The only downside to the DTivos is they cant record anything but the DTV feed, no OTA, or cable. Also you can add a larger hard drive to expand the recording time a bunch. 1 of my units has a recording time of 116 hrs. Go over to the TiVo comunity and ask some questions on the Direct tv with TiVo section. TiVo is one of the coolest toys I have ever gotten. You will not regret getting a TiVo.
    The TiVos that work with cable systems have a problem controlling the cable boxes. They use a IR blaster and some times if you dont get it set up just right it will miss channel changes. I have set up several some/most change 99% of the time but I had a couple (motorola cable boxes) that were only 80%, TiVo has indicated they were working on a serial conection for the motorola but I think motorola is holding up the codes.[​IMG] If you can get DTV IMHO the DirecTiVo is the best PVR out there right now.
    If you use a Leap Frog run a separate "phone line" between the LPs dont use a live phone line. The pq will be great that way.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I use UltimateTV with my DirecTV and I'm loving it. There was talk about them not making those anymore... I don't know what the deal is, but it's great and cheap.