Should I get a single or dual SVS CS-Ultras?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

My room is about 14 feet by 14 feet. My speakers are Klipsch RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7s. Would one SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier be enough of this room with these speakers?

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

It depends on a number of factors, like what do you listen to and how loud do you listen.

Could you give us more info?

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

DVD movies are my main priority, but I will be listening to music too. I do like to listen to movies loud, but I am not sure how my "loud" compares to your "loud."

4. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Bump.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Haris,

An easy way to compare anecdotal *loudness* is to refer to the master volume settings of your system and just when you feel it is *loud*. This assumes you have already calibrated the system with a SPL meter though. If you have calibrated...how loud do you tend to crank the volume on bass heavy DVDs...10dB under *reference*, 5dB under...full reference?(for example).

If you haven't invested in a Radio Shack SPL meter yet, I would as soon as possible. Just insuring all the speakers are the same level in the theater can make a nice improvement in soundstaging and imaging.

Tom V.
    SVS

6. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Actually I think you'd be better off with one of the new PC+ models. Two Ultras is overkill for that room. I have one Ultra in a room 13.5' x 24' x 7.5'. I have a 16-46CS+ that used to be in that room and that seemed to even be sufficient for me. I run my sub 3db hot and the whole system 10db below reference. Last week my wife told me that the china in the dining room above the HT rattled from the car crash scene in Fight Club. If you do go with one Ultra you can always add one later if you move to a larger room.

Mitch

7. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys. [​IMG]
    However, I can't give "details" on the volume settings because I am still in the process of building my home theater. [​IMG]

8. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

I just upgraded to 2 Ultras, and if you choose this route, You wont be sorry[​IMG]
    Fred

9. Kenny WH

Kenny WH Stunt Coordinator

Haris,
    I to am running the Ref-7 series Klipsch's in my theater. My room is over 4000 cubic feet so I went with two Ultra's
    pushed by the S-1000, they are a great match in my opinion to the Ref-7's. One thing to keep in mind is that the Ref-7's are very efficient and you need plenty of sub-woofage to keep up with them when your Ref-'7's are hitting very loud levels.[​IMG]
    With proper placement one Ultra would probably do
    in your room, but in my opinion, two would be better due to the fact that you'll
    have much more headroom. With dual Ultra's you won't have to drive the pair as hard to get the desired bass levels like you would with a single unit. If you got the $$$, then I would definitely go with two[​IMG].
    They truly are fantastic subs, I get all kinds of compliments on their output and sound quality.
    I'm sure you'll love the SVS Ultra/Klipsch combo, I know I do.
    Plus you can't buy from a better bunch of people than the
    SVS team.
    Good Luck,
    Ken