1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I get a progressive DVD player for my Sony HS10?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rong Chen, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Rong Chen

Rong Chen Extra

Hi! I have a Sony 61" HS10 RPTV, and a Sony interlaced DVD player for about 8 month now.
    I have always been thinking IF and how much a progressive DVD player will enhance the picture quality.
    Why? my TV is not professionally calibrated, I did my best in it's service mode convergence, with the help of AVIA cross-hatch pattern. The lines are by no means comparable to direct view tv, but they look good from 6-8 feet (I have seating in about 8-ft). If a better DVD player - a progressive one, is feeding the HS10, will the TV display be more or less just about the same with the minimally optimized TV set?
    Also I found the picture quality depends a lot on the DVD disks. When I watch some DVDs with better video transfer, such as Toy Story, Antz etc, the picture is excellent, but the picture on many others are far from satisfactory. Will a progressive DVD player outputs better pictures with all the (good and not so good) DVDs?
    If I must have my TV professionally calibrated, wonder how soon it has to be calibrated again? I found my convergence via service menu drifted after a few months, and it at one time was completely off the mark, I had to do it from scratch. Each time I checked with the convergence settings, I found they are different from the record I wrote down from the last time. If it's professionally calibrated, I don't think I will ever touch it (tweak it) in fear screwing up the several hundred dollars investment.
    Now the second question. If a progressive DVD player positively enhances the pictures, then which model do you recommend? My impression is that a true 3:2 pull down is the way to go, and I heard line doubler iScan is a very good alternative. Of course budget is not unlimited, so please, no $3000 price tag top runners. I would like to spend somewhere in $400 range. I also can wait if the wait will let me buy today's $3000 technology in 12 months with $400-$500. I am talking the Silicon Image deinterlacing chip.
    Many thanks!

2. Basil Kazepis

Basil Kazepis Auditioning

A progressive scan player will work great with your HS10.
    Have you visited or joined the HS10 group on Yahoo. I am a member and it has proven very informative. There are many tips and tricks listed there that you can perform on your set to really make it live up to its fullest potential. Ck it out.
    Basil

3. RaulT

RaulT Auditioning

Does the HS10 handle 480P? I thought it only did 1080I.
    ------------------

4. Rong Chen

Rong Chen Extra

RaulT:
    I believe 480p is in the spec. 720p is not.
    There was a big disscussion on the banding issue with progressive DVD, so it does support it, well, with this problem.

5. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

I can tell you for sure that when I switched from a Sony 560 to a Panasonic RP-91 I noticed a big difference in picture on older/crappier DVD transfers.
    Good transfers looked excellent but bad transfers became liveable. Some of this is due to the Panasonics special zoom features but in general picture quality was improved enough that my wife noticed the difference (and she never acknowledges anything).
    If you do a search on my username here I posted a quick review of my usage of RP-91 and some of it may be of interest to you.
    BTW I am using a Mitsubishi 46807 and not a Sony.
    Greg

6. Rong Chen

Rong Chen Extra

I forgot to mention that Sony's DRC internal line doubler is very good, which may make interlaced fed picture look close to a prog-scan fed one in picture quality.
    Can Sony HS10 owners confirm that?