Should I get a pre/pro or an amp first to go with my receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Everett A, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Hi, I have a Denon 2700 (lacks DTS).

Have been quite happy with its performance, since I'm in a smaller room, but I don't have much to compare it with.

I've been reading a lot about separates here, and I am wondering what the most logical first step up to separates would be : adding a 5-channel amp to my receiver (I don't want to get 2 separate amps to add up to 5 channels btw), or getting a pre/pro first to go with my receiver?

Sorry if this question has been hashed over before...

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Get the amp, it will always hold its value and can be used with any pre you decide to get in the future..

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

First question: What is your proposed budget?

You could get an Outlaw Model 950 pre-amp and a good quality stereo amp or two monoblocks (for the front left and right speakers) and then use the receiver's internal amps for a little while until you can totally replace the receiver.

Quality multiple monoblocks or multiple stereo pairs can have far less interference and channel cross-talk and more power reserves than one big five, six, or seven channel amp.

Dan

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Everett

I would probably save up until I could afford a used Lexicon DC-1. The Logic 7 surround feature (for 5.1 sources) is unique to Lexicon. These sold for about $4,000 when new. Now you can get a fully upgraded one for less than $1,500.

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Everett,

Here's one upgrade path:

1) get a 5 channel amp under $500 (HK pa5800, HK sig 2.1, sherwood 9080, Parasound 885, etc)

2) get a fully loaded Lexicon DC1 with version 4. prices are actually approaching $1k; checkout audiogon and ebay. Use your denon 2700 as a 2 channel amp to drive the rear surrounds.

3) get a 2nd matching 5 channel amp and sell your denon. use the "extra" 3 amp channels to: drive passive svs sub(s), biamp your mains, drive zone2.