Should I get a multi-region pal/ntsc DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stan Rozenfeld, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market for a dvi/hdmi player in the next two months to feed my new 61" DLP TV, and I need some advice. I am a film fanatic and am pretty omnivorous when it comes to films. I watch hollywood mainstream, independents, foreign popular and art films, classics and silents.

With all that's become available in Region 1 (US & Canada), do I really need

1) a multi-region player?
    2) a pal/ntsc conversion player?

Before everyone answers yes, I just want to say that I am very sensitive to picture quality, and from my reading, many of the multi-region/pal-ntsc players don't have great processing and deinterlacing such as Faroudja, so it will be a trade off.

How good is the pal/ntsc conversion in some of these players? The one that I am particularly looking at is Momitsu 880, which is the only such player that has DVI.

Are there any great websites that I can check out which show what's available outside region 1/ntsc?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Stan

2. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

3. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

4. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory

Um, I checked that link and I was unaware of Secam of France but I can play it on my multi region that converts Pal to NTSC, Secam is not mentioned. Is being able to play this common? The disc says it is Pal...

5. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

Hi Stan.

You should check with your installation techs/tv manufacturer to see if your DLP TV is multi-standard. If so, you would not need a player that does PAL to NTSC conversion. PAL shown in its native resolution looks terrific. If thats the case, then you should buy a nice high-end player (since money obviously is no concern here) that outputs PAL and NTSC and have it made region free.

I have a Loewe 30" which is multi-standard (though you need an installer to switch it to format autodetect instead of NTSC only) and there's an enormous difference in the NTSC output of PAL discs and the PAL output. Even on the tolerable crap-ass Cyberhome I use for multiregion discs, the PAL ones look terrific...

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I recommend the Momitsu V880. It's regionfree out of the box & does clean PAL-to-NTSC conversion. Its DVI outout is where this player really shines. You can get it from extremephono.com or hkflix.com

7. George See

George See Second Unit

With money as no object why not get a region 1 player that has really great picture and then a secondary player all region just for the non region 1 titles you want to watch?

8. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I checked some of the site that you guys recommended, and also hkflix.com and nicheflix.com. I never realized that El Cid, Kagemusha and Abel Gance's Napoleon are all available on DVD!!! (just not in USA)

Andre,

From what I understand, Zenith doesn't fit my needs. It fails some key tests in Secrets shoot-out, and I don't think it has aspect ratio control for 4:3 DVDs via DVI.

Darren,

I've been trying to find out regarding Samsung DLP. It's a fixed panel display. It seems to accept Pal, but since it refreshes at 60hz, rather than 50hz, I doubt that it will display pal without major judder problems. By the way, who says money is not a concern here? :). And as per your statement about the difference in quality between pal and pal converted to ntsc, this is my main concern. If it really looks bad on the 61" DLP, I just won't bother with pal/ntsc conversion.

Brajesh,

how big is your screen? Do you get any judder or artifacts after pal/ntsc coversion? How is the reliability and ease of use of your player?

Generally, I am all for Momitsu. Its only weakness is problem with poorly flagged DVDs and video-based DVDs, but you can't have everything.

George,

Sounds like a good idea... maybe I'll get Momitsu for the DVI input of the Sammy, and Samsung 941 or the upcoming Denon for the hdmi input. Too bad it can't all be in one player, but this could be a good compromise.

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions,
    Stan