Should I get a Mac or PC for my next computer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

I really like how the new Macs look. Plus, they are more stable as they don't use Windows. [​IMG]

I play games, but not all the time. I mainly use the Internet, Microsoft Office, and some gaming.

Do you think I should get a Power Mac G4 or a PC?

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Haris:

I'd say if you already have a PC that you can still use for games, go ahead and get a Mac, and use both side by side.

Macs are great, but they have a few problems. First, they don't have as wide of a selection of games as PCs do. Secondly, they are usually a fair bit more expensive than most PCs.

I think you should ask yourself how much of a premium you would place on looks. I like the Macs' design myself, but I don't have one because of their faults. I WOULD like to get a mac eventually, though. I think they are good computers. [​IMG]

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Actually, when I go off to university in about a years time, I'll only have one computer. That is why I am trying to decide on either a PC or a Mac. Actually, I don't mind not being able to play many of the games that are available on the PC.

But I do know that Doom 3 will be available for the Mac, and that's good enough for me. [​IMG]

4. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Benefits of a Mac:
    OS X - UNIX!!!! (if you are a geek)
    Stable
    Great dependable efficient hardware
    Quiet due to less fans (G4s are efficient and don't pump out tons of heat like AMD or Intel chips)

Disadvantages of a Mac:
    What Brian said : less software, price (but you get quality hardware).

If I were to buy a new computer right now I'd buy an x86 based computer ONLY because I run Linux and Linux a lot of linux software runs best on x86. You could still run Linux on a Mac though, a friend of mine does. I wouldn't bother with Linux on a Mac because you have UNIX already!

Greg

5. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

This decision is totally up to you. It depends on personal tastes.

I like to build my own computer, so it's PC all the way for me. I also just despise the Mac interface. It's always bothered me by being too sickeningly sweet. Granted, I have no real experience with OS X, but it seemed every time I tried to do anything productive on a Mac, it would freeze up or crash... [​IMG]

Also, I do like the variety of games... [​IMG]

6. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I'll tell you what...we just bought to Brand Spankin' new Mac G4s for the office and they are FANTASTIC!

Are they better than the venerable PC??? I would say no, but that argument is becoming less valid with each passing day![​IMG]

The above posts are true...you want to play tons of games? Mac is NOT your answer. You want to be able WORK on your computer (i.e., school work, job related stuff, etc...) Mac *may* be for you.

As with many other things, this will ultimately come down to personal choice but both camps will RECRUIT HEAVILY[​IMG]!

7. Greg Rowe

Greg
    Andrew,

OS X is very stable. Previous Mac OS version weren't based on the Darwin UNIX core. Prior to Mac OS X any application could corrupt the entire system. Now each program runs in its own address space and can't harm others. The worst that can happen if a program mis behaves is the program itself crashes (but not the whole Operating System).

In Windows 9x (including ME) any application can corrupt the entire system. In the Windows NT line (NT4, 2000, XP) thisp roblem doesn't exist.

...But I agree, it depends on personal preference. Harris, it'd be best to play with Macs for a while if you can.

Greg

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

It all depends on whether you want to be bothered repairing hosed Windows installations! Truthfully, my wife's office is getting ready to switch completely to OS X based Macs now that they are running Unix. she just doesn't have the time to be fixing the incessant problems Windows exhibits. Just look at this forum for problem after problem...

That being said, there are things that could annoy some people switching to the Mac. There aren't the vast array of games available but there are certainly enough of a selection for most. Some software is missing - there is no Kazaa or DVD Profiler for the Mac, for example. Most good software is there, however. In talking to many that have switched, the concensus seems to be that even Microsoft Office X is superior on a Mac. Undoubtedly, you'll find that the interface for most applications is more pleasing and intuitive on the Mac.

I'm biased because I utilize the Unix part of OS X every day at work. OS X has been a godsend for us server wise. Also, the ability to run Unix/Linux apps along side Office and Photoshop is a HUGE plus.

Good luck!

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you want to do anything other than Art/office applications, or enjoy twekaing your computer stay far far far away from a Mac.

10. Greg Rowe

Greg

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I work for a very large ivy leage university in Pennsylvania. We're 40% macs! I use a windows PC everyonce and awhile, and am always glad to return to my macs. I've got two powerbooks, and am about ready to buy a powermac g4. MacOS X is great, there isn't another operating system out there that is as easy to use and as stable. While some people enjoy "tweaking" their computers (which to me, means buying something that doesn't work and then beatting it and the rest of your computer into submission until it does work), I love the fact that I can plug nearly any device into my mac and it'll just work. Most of the time I don't even need drivers!

Anyway, what's said above is true; there isn't a huge selection of games. But there is a quality selection. Warcraft III, the Baldur's Gate series, Diablo II, Medal of Honor, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, etc.. are all available for the mac. Personally, I enjoy gaming much more on my HT than I do my computer, so I'm happy to stick with a GameCube and PS2.

12. Jeff Kleist

Yes, but unfortunately Apple hides all that tweakability as well as possible and makes (at least me) feel like an idiot

I hate MacOS with a passion. While it's true that they eventually had to throw out their horrific code and base on UNIX, but it's still the same old interface that makes me feel like a moron

13. Greg Rowe

Greg
    Jeff,

Everyone is entitled to opinions and I respect yours.

I don't think they had to throw out their old code base but made a wise decision to base their design on a tried and true architecture. If you want to see a code base that *should* be thrown out check out win32. If you've ever written code for win32 you already know what a nightmare it is.

Apple does hide the fact tht the OS base is UNIX because a traditional Mac user never wants to see a command line or deal with an X server. You *can* tweak it though. To me it's the best of both worlds. It's easy to use for those that want it to be, and tweakable like crazy for those who want to dig.

I am starting to go too far off topic so I am going to stop replying to this thread.

Greg

14. Patrick Larkin

Jeff - Have you ever even used OS X? Because it really sounds like you haven't.

Speaking for the heavy duty geek contingent, slashdot contains an Apple section. There is no Windows section. Windows is not taken seriously at all in the true geek world.

But then again, Apple embraces open source and standards, unlike Microsoft.

Can't tweak OS X? Some of the articles on the O'Reilly DevCenter: PHP 4.3 and Mac OS X, Build Your Own Apache Server with mod_perl and mod_ssl, Controlling iTunes with Perl, Installing Oracle 9i on Mac OS X, Configuring Jaguar's Firewall, Networking and the BSD Sockets API, Understanding Zeroconf and Multicast DNS, VPN on Mac OS X, Java Media Development with QuickTime for Java...

if there's anything OS X is its extensible.

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

You say you are going off to school. I would see what the majority of the campus uses and get that. It can be difficult if you have to buy some software for class that only runs on windows or program something for windows and you buy a mac. Having to spend time down in the computer labs I found not to be especially fun.

16. Patrick Larkin

You can program for any platform on a mac.

Viruses are another reason to stay away from windows, if possible.

17. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

18. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks for a advice.

However, do most schools/universities use Macs or PCs?

19. Jeff Kleist

It's usually a mix. If it's an art school, they usually steer more towards Macs, tech school PCs

20. Patrick Larkin