Should I get a JVC 70bk with only an interlaced TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete N, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Pete N

Pete N Auditioning

Many people trash on the fact that the JVCs derive their interlaced picture from the progressive. I will have an interlaced TV for some time before I will be able to upgrade to a digital TV. I also plan on having this player for 2-4 years, in which time I would imagine getting a digital TV. Any recommendations?

Also, I have been looking at a 3 or 4 year extended warranty for the player. At Ecost, the warranty is $70 for 3 years in addition to the manufacturer's warranty. At Etronics, it's $50 for 4 years, but looks less inclusive than the Ecost one.

Finally, what EXACTLY is the difference in buying a unit (whatever it might be) from an authorized dealer relative to not? Is the manufacturer's warranty void or something?

2. Pete N

Pete N Auditioning

Bumping this back to the top. Anyone??????

3. Pete N

Pete N Auditioning

One more bump to the top. Please - any help would be appreciated - I want to get a DVD player within a week.

4. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Pete-

I am no expert (really a newbie) but I can help a little I hope.

I thought some DVD players dervied progressive output from interlaced output. I thought I read that this had to do with the way the data on the disc was decoded. Not sure on this, perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment?

From what I have read on manufacturer's web sites the manufacturers warranty is VOID unless you buy from an authorized dealer. Many on this board and others have said that many un-authorized dealers sell "b" stock items. A B stock item is one usually manufactured in malaysia or other country, and that repairs require shipping to Japan or malaysia which would cost a fortune.

Greg