should I get a hdtv (newbie)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Fletcher, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I was all ready to get an hdtv this christmas until i read about all the fire wire and DTCP(i think thats right). now I am confused. I need a couple of things cleared up if possible. I was interested in getting the new Toshiba 16:9 57H81 hdtv monitor.
    1. I do not have satelite, I have regular cable. I plan on keeping regular cable for a while. Will this new standard that the industry agreed on effect me? Will HBO on regular cable be "down rezzed" also?
    Can someone explain this mess [​IMG]
    P.S. I also have a dvd player which is the main reason why i want a hdtv.
    I apologize if I botched the technical wording on this issue. I just need some education on it.
    thanks.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

3. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I did. Watching some of the PBS HD Demos(Ashley Judd in the shower [​IMG] ) and I don't regret it one bit. My wife however.....
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I've been reading up on this, and at this point I am not sure if I am asking questions or answering them, but this is how I see it.
    1. CATV will not be able to transmit HDTV because of bandwidth. The sat hi-def channels may also have compressed bandwith also, so this will result in a decrease in picture quality.
    2. The only choice left for full HDTV viewing will be to purchase a STB, along with a UHF antenna. If you can receive regular OTA stations on UHF now, you should be ok. The component cables will go to your TV for viewing.
    3. Local stations will not be broadcasting 24/7 HDTV right now, but the STB will receive the 24/7 broadcast, and you'll be able to record at will. (except for no 4)
    4. A switch on the STB will either output to the componet cables or S-video and composite, but not both at once. Using most VCR's will result in a decrease in picture quality because you will have to use the composite or super video outs, and you won't be able to see this.
    As I wrap this up I see that if an HDTV has composite outs, you would be able to see what you are recording, but I am not sure if they will work under HDTV.
    Whew! Glenn

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The copyright issues will not effect any OTA HD presentations from Broadcast tv..It will not even effect Premium Channels like HBO HD and Showtime HD...It will effect some first time movie runs on HD PPV events if and when this is all ever ironed out which probably will take many more years...
    ------------------

6. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Exactly, if you are going to wait to purchase a HDTV until this gets ironed you might be waiting a few years. Like Mike said, you would still probably be able to receive 98% of the available HD content if you have older equipment. I also don't think they will screw over millions of people that have already purchased or will purchase HDTVs, STBs, etc.
    [Edited last by Brian Mello on August 17, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

7. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor