Should I get a digital or analog SPL meter?? And where??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to purchase an SPL meter for my HT sytem. The only place I know to look is radio shack...they have both a digital and an analog model. Is there any advantage to having one or the other? Does anyone prefer a particular kind?

Also, are there other places to get SPL meters that might be better or less expensive than the radio shack models?

2. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

i got a digital raido shack and works fine for me.some say the analog is more useful,i dont know where though,cant go wrong with ether one.you pick

gene

3. Dela Rosa

Dela Rosa Auditioning

I prefer analog for an SPL meter. If the measurement doesn't vary much over time, I usually opt for digital (temperature, voltage, etc.). You'll find while playing calibration signals (white noise, tones, etc.) that the level may vary, sometimes around 0.5 dB or so, making it difficult (IMO) to "average" it out to get a reading. Here's a question to ask yourself: do you prefer analog or digital dashboards?

Then again, either will do its job sufficiently - it's really preference.

Christian

4. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Scott:

I found a perfectly new Radio Shack analog meter on ebay for $35.00US, which translates to about $50.00CAN. This is cheaper than a new digital unit here in Canada. (AND the analog is no longer available here.)

I have had good luck with ebay... good hunting.

RW

5. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Hey Roy (and fellow Canucks), Radio Shack just put their Digital SPL meters on sale for $49.99 CAD! That's down from the regular price of $89.99.

I picked one up last night and calibrated my 7.1 system using AVIA. Worked beautifully. As expected, my Denon 3802 test tones calibrated to 75db, which corresponded exactly to AVIA at 85db. I had to use both sets of test tones as AVIA doesn't have test tones for the extra 2 Surround Back channels. Essentially, I used AVIA to calibrate reference (00 volume setting on the 3802) to 85db for 5.1. I then used the 3802 test tones to calibrate the calibrated volume setting on the surround l/r to the surround back speakers.

There were some differences between the offsets using the 3802 test tones and AVIA...most significantly with the center channel which was around 3db too low if I relied on the 3802.

Tonight I'll get to work trying to dial in my PSB Subsonic 7 subwoofer. This will be more tricky and I'm not looking forward to it.