What's new

Should I get a 4k blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Hi. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I have to replace my old blu-ray player. I have an older 1080p tv. All the while, something called 4K has come to this world and left me behind ;). A new tv is a bit off for me but I do need a new blu-ray player. As I'm looking around at all the 4k players available I was wondering if a 4k player will work with a 1080p tv. This all leads me to the following options:

1. Look for a standard 1080p blu-ray player like the Sony BDPS3600 -- apples and apples thing
2. Look at the Sony BDPS6700 upscaling 4k player -- will it work with 1080p tv and would it be any better than #1 ($40 upcharge over #1)
3. Look at full on 4k players like the Sony UBP-X700 -- same concern as #2 but much more expensive and will it make sense with a 1080p tv?

Thoughts? BTW, not married to Sony brand. Just thought of keeping the brand the same to focus on the question. Any suggestions re brand will be considered seriously!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would do option 3. I would not do option 2.

Yes, 4K players can output regular HD, and they can downscale 4K discs for your current TV.

Option 3 makes a lot of sense, because it allows you to start collecting 4K discs, instead of (arguably) wasting money on regular Blu-Rays.

As far as players, the Sony models do seem to have some glitches, including a completely absurd way they handle Dolby Vision. I don't recall if the 700 passes DV, though. I suggest a Panasonic UB420, or an 820 if you want a little more premium model, which also adds DV capability.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I would also go option 3.

I'm actually in a similar situation, except I have a 2K projector for my primary HT viewing. I won't be moving up to a 4K projector anytime soon, primarily because most of what I watch isn't available in 4K. However, I also have a few 4K flat screens around the house for more casual viewing.

My reasons for going option 3 is that unfortunately, the really budget players don't last. They're cheap and generally break within a year. They are what I generally have bought for my flat panels in the past and have had to replace too regularly.

Normally, for my HT I would go for more of a premium product, but since most of the bells an whistles are currently useless to me, I'm leaning towards the middle ground for a better sense of quality and longevity. I'm thinking Panasonic UB420 or Sony UBP-X800M2.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
My brain says 3 as well, especially after looking up specs and reviews of the recommended Panasonic ub420. However, it is $300 up here in Canada and the Sony, as well as other sd players, come in around the $100 mark. I understand fully that I will have it when I do get the new tv but I think I can wait for that. The brain loses again to the wallet; stupid wallet!!

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Well forget about that. Went to Best Buy to pick up Sony s3700 as per wallet's instructions. Bring it home and reading instructions it says to attach supplied hdmi cable... wait, what? No hdmi cord. Also noticed that the packaging wasn't as it should be (egg carton side holders weren't on the actual player; they were just off on the side together taking up the space). They gave me an open box or refurbished one. Any way, got a return authorized and will be going to pick up Panasonic UB420, from a different seller, tomorrow. The brain won!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The cheapest thing to do right this minute is rarely the cheapest to do in the long run. It's usually a waste of money. Disc players should last a long time. Admittedly, they don't always last, but they usually do. So, in a roundabout way, you ended updoing the right thing. Because it simply doesn't make sense to buy something that you will want to replace, sooner than later.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I say 3 as well and yes the 4K blu-ray player will work with your 1080p display and or projector. And at least this way you can build up a 4K library and watch the discs at 1080p till you get a 4K display or projector.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've had the Panasonic UB420 since Christmas and have been loving it. I think it can usually be had for under $200 in the US.

I also have no 4K display capability yet, but wanted the ability to play 4K discs anyway. And if you have an Atmos surround system, that's often the only way to get the Atmos sound option as they usually don't include it on most blu-rays.

I have a Samsung 4K player that I got a few years ago, but it was kind of glitchy so I ended up switching back to my old reliable Sony blu-ray player after a while. I haven't had any issues with the Panasonic player.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I've had the Panasonic UB420 since Christmas and have been loving it. I think it can usually be had for under $200 in the US.

I also have no 4K display capability yet, but wanted the ability to play 4K discs anyway. And if you have an Atmos surround system, that's often the only way to get the Atmos sound option as they usually don't include it on most blu-rays.

I have a Samsung 4K player that I got a few years ago, but it was kind of glitchy so I ended up switching back to my old reliable Sony blu-ray player after a while. I haven't had any issues with the Panasonic play
So the ub420 has taken its place on the shelf. I was wondering if there are any settings I should make given that I have a non-4k tv, or any change to settings, for that matter. I just fired it up out of the box and it did its quick setup thing, connected to wifi, etc. I put in a blu-ray (1080p) and it looked fine, maybe even a bit better than old Samsung, I think? Thanks

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Actually, found a setting using Video setting button on remote. Is that what you meant?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So the ub420 has taken its place on the shelf. I was wondering if there are any settings I should make given that I have a non-4k tv, or any change to settings, for that matter. I just fired it up out of the box and it did its quick setup thing, connected to wifi, etc. I put in a blu-ray (1080p) and it looked fine, maybe even a bit better than old Samsung, I think? Thanks
I don't think I made any special settings. I leave most everything on AUTO and let the player decide the correct settings based on the disc and display.

On mine, there are a couple different places to make adjustments, if needed. There's the "settings" screen from the home screen menu, then I think it's "options" on the remote.

I have the Sony 700 for over a year -Used it on an older HDTV and now on a Sony 85" 900H set. It does pass Dolby Vision-I am very satisfied with it and was able to get it on sale for $129

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrebourbeau
Recent bookmarks