Should I get 12 gauge wire to replace 16 gauge?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by TommyL, Aug 6, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Hi all..I currently use 16 gauge monster for my speaker wire...I have 3 short runs(8 feet or less) and 2 longer runs(12 feet and 20 feet) Is it going to make a difference in sound quality both in music/HT? My system is here-->

http://home.mchsi.com/~toml/wsb/html...tos.html-.html

thanks much! tom

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Tommy,

I am certain most folks here would say that 16 gauge spkr wire is just fine for the relatively short surround spkr distance you specify. I imagine you have the generic Monster XP or HDXP Navaho White. It’s bulk kinda stuff and I use it.

But looking at the amount of effort put into your system equipment it’s boggling to me how you’ve managed to avoid the blandishments of “high-end cable.” I mean this as a compliment in resisting some sales pitches.

Get the system up and running for everyday use, and you’ll have time to read up on costlier wiring and decide if you wanta give it a try, and how critical an ear you develop.

BTW I have Paradigm speakers and after a year have decided that bi-wiring isn’t producing a significant sound difference. So you perhaps may take not biwiring into consideration if upgrading to more expensive spkr wires.

bill

3. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I replaced my 16 gauge with 12 gauge wire for my 3 front speakers. The sound is slightly better. Most people agree, 12 gauge is the sweet spot for most setups. You also don't have to spend a fortune on brand name stuff either. Seem like cheaper home depot stuff work pretty good. Keep in mind, your speakers are better then mine too, so you might see more of an improvement. It only cost me $15, not a bad investment. I kept the 16 gauge for the rear and back surrounds.

4. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Tommy,

Do you use 16 gauge for your sub?
    What I would do is get a piece of 12 gauge and hook it into one of your front channels than A/B the L with R to see if you hear a difference. I use 14 gauge bi wire on my speakers and 12 gauge on the sub.

I sent you a PM.

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

You have a really nice setup. Just hook it up and play w/ the wires yourself to see if you hear a difference. If you want to play it safe just put in the extra 50-100 dollars for 12 gauge all around by Monster or any other reputable company. However, I rec'd you at leat try to listen for differences first. Again, nice setup.

6. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks guys...well, people are saying HD or audio king 12 gauge wire works great...and at 35 bucks for 100 feet, I think its worth trying lol...I'll let ya know my findings...to my ear...[​IMG]Thanks for the kind words...my system has come a long way...still tinkering, but it should stay put for a while. tom