Should I feel guilty?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I am watching one of my good friends Yellow Lab for the week. Now he is usually a good dog but in the last couple of days he has just driven me up the wall. My two dogs really don't like him because he is a very horny dog and my two are females. They are both fixed, but it doesn't seem to matter to him. I can't let him sleep in the same room with me and my dogs because all they do is growl at each other. So I have to keep him in the basement and all he does is bark........all night long. [​IMG]
    So right now I am going on about 8 hours sleep in the past three days and I had to call off work today because of the dog. Yesterday he decided he wanted to start crapping in the house, he did so twice. So then I had to lock him in his cage because I won't even let my dogs crap in the house. That is a major no-no. So then he decides to crap in there. I clean it up and him up. I put him back in his cage, go to bed, listen to barking for three hours, go check on him, and he crapped again. So now I am outside at 2:30 in the morning hosing out his cage and cleaning him up. I have about one total hour of sleep and I have to get up at 4:00 AM. So I bring him back inside, sealed off an area in the basement , and put him in it. He barks for awhile, then finally goes to sleep. I get a couple of hours and then wake up. Since the sun is up, I can't sleep. I go to let hiim outside and he crapped on the floor again. [​IMG]
    So I have decided to have him boarded at his local vet. I feel bad about this but that is where he was going to end up if I didn't watch him anyways. I have to get sleep and I have to go to work. I am also worried that my neighbors are going to start complaining because his barking is very loud and it can be heard outside. I get along with my neighbors, but they get up early to and I don't want them pissed off at me for something that isn't even mine. I love the dog, but I need sleep and a poop free house. So should I feel guilty?
    -Dean-

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Dean, Being the owner of a 10year old chocolate lab, you have been a great sport. This is obviously a spoiled dog who misses his owner and you have exhausted all possibilities. I don't feel that anyone could be angry after what you have been through. If my lab did that, I would expect the sitter to do the same. You are a good friend and he/she should recognize this.
    Good luck!

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Board him, and don't worry about it, especially if that's where he was going to end up, anywho.

You've stood it far longer than I would have...

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I believe that you have been more then a sport about it. If the dog was going to the vet to be borded if you were not home then I wouldnt worry too much. Explain to him the reasons why you had to take him to the Vet and the problems that you had.

KyleS

5. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

What other options do you have? I wouldn't think your friend would expect you to go on next to no sleep while continually listening to his barking dog and cleaning up dog crap! Not if he is really a friend!

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I agree, you did the right thing in sending it to the kennel. I wouldn't have lasted as long as you did, as I hate barking dogs, especially ones that shit all over the place, shit stinks ya know!

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If the friend doesn't live too far away, maybe you could put the dog there overnight.

Otherwise I think you're doing the right thing.

/Mike

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

10. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Thanks for the support guys. I took him to the vet yesterday and I feel real bad about it. I am too much of a sucker for dogs. I finally got a good nights sleep and I could tell my dogs didn't sleep at all either since they literally slept the entire day, and I mean the entire day. I never seen them sleep that much.

I am not worried about my friend and his wife being mad at me, I know they are going to feel bad that their dog acted that way.

-Dean-

11. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Dean, don't feel guilty, you did well.
    We try to keep our animal hospital as clean and fresh as possible, but every now and then someone comes in and says "Ewww, it stinks in here!!!!!!"
    Now you know why. [​IMG]

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I don't know how far away your friend lives, but he should boarded the dog or made arrangements to leave the dog at home and have people check in on him. When I'm out of town, I'm fortunate enough to have family and friends that can stop by my place to feed my two Labs, let them out, etc. I think it's less traumatic for the dogs when they are able to stay in their normal surroundings. As long as they can run around and sleep where they normally sleep, I think they could care less who is actually feeding them. [​IMG]