Should I feel bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Should I feel bad b/c I called in because of the weather? It is the first time I have ever done so at any job, but the road was sooo slick. I called work and finally got to talk to my boss (who had been out in the stuff and it took about double the time to make a trip into town and back). When she finally returned my call, she kinda griped me out and made me feel like a real jerk. The thing is, I have never called in like this before, the roads are only supposed to get worse, etc. On one hand I feel justified b/c I don't want to have a wreck like so many others today (and I almost did a few times) and by the time I got there I would have only worked about 2-3 hrs. This would be less than the amount of time I would have likely spent in the car. On the other hand, I feel bad b/c now she will have to work my shift. I just don't know. Should I feel bad?

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Nope, don't feel bad. The words were horrible, end of story. Your life is more important than a missed shift. You can always catch up on your work, but once you lose your life, your hooped.

3. Jeff Braddock

That's the way I've been looking at it, I'd rather be on the poo poo list than the undertaker's list...

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Don't feel bad, I too have only taken one sick day in like the 7 years I have worked for my company. And then I emailed my boss from home, but my boss is cool that way. Your safety and well being should be more important than being at work for one day. Heck, if you were injured or god forbid, killed, what would your boss think about that? So in the long run, your boss should be concerned as much as you are to be safe. (unless you live right across from where you work, at which case, you have no excuse [​IMG])
    Jay

5. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    j/k don't worry about it.You did the right thing.

6. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Speaking of missing stuff due to bad weather: I remember one teacher who said that if somebody missed the final he will only accept an excuse note from a mortician. [​IMG]

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Don't feel bad. Would you rather be yelled at by the boss, or be dead? You are justified in this situation.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Your life is more important than a missed shift." EXACTLY!

Brent

9. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Staying home was totally justified. Your safety and well-being are top priority.

Let me see...One day missed staying home because of hazardous driving conditions, or

multiple days missed because of an injury (or worse) sustained trying to get into work during hazardous driving conditions.

No brainer...your actions were justified...don't feel guilty, feel blessed and fortunate that you're safe.

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    On my job we get a maximum of something like two weeks worth of sick pay and many people count that as part of their vacation using every available day. I've been with the company for just over two years and I've called in once. That was so I could spend a three day weekend at King's Island. I work my ass off on a daily basis to piggyback these people who call in sick every other weekend so I didn't feel the least bit guilty for taking a day for myself.

11. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

If she had to cover for you and had to work a double than that kinda sucks, wether or not you should feel bad I cannot answer because I do not know actually how bad the roads were where you live. Were schools open?

12. Jeff Braddock

I think they (the schools) were out b/c of the holiday's anyway, but it didn't start snowing till the afternoon when I go into work. By the time I got home from taking my wife to the dentist, it had already gotten pretty bad. As far as the roads, well, there were at least 2 trucks off the road (one down a very steep embankment) and there was a car that was stuck on one hill. We slid a good deal. She wouldn't have had to work a full double shift, just about a shift and a half, and it's not like she had to come in from home, she was already there. She just had to stay a little longer.

13. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Heck I have a job where I accrue sick leave and vacation leave. There are some people at work that have less than 2 hours of sick and there are some that have over 500 hours. That says a lot when you get 3.3 hours a month. I carry a week of sick leave myself.
    Don't feel bad at all. When roads get slick people suddenly forget how to drive.

14. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

But didn't any of your parents tell you about how he/she have to walk to school in 5 feet of snow, bare-footed, uphills both ways, 10 miles each way, etc.....
    Just kidding [​IMG] Don't feel guilty....you did the right thing. [​IMG]

15. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Now that I am off between semesters I have to make a 45 minute drive to work and I won't leave if there is even a little bit of ice on the roads. Hibbett Sports < my life

My boss can kiss it if he thinks I will risk my life for his store.

16. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Ask your boss if the company will pay you when you are out of work recovering from the accident you may have in the bad weather. If the answer is 'yes', then get it in writing !
    Chances are that you would be S.O.L. if anything happend to you during your commute to work.
    If you think that you would have a problem making it to work, then stay home. You should not be expected to risk your well being for your job. You done good !

17. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

If you seriously thought the roads were bad, then don't sweat it. Life is precious, and I saw too many wrecks today from people being idiots. Just chill and enjoy the time at home.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I would have gone [​IMG]

19. Jeff Braddock

Well Philip, if you would have gone on that bike in your sig you would have looked like the guys off of Dumb and Dumber [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I talked to my boss today and everything is cool. She was just stressed from driving in it for 2 1/2 hrs just beforehand.

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

well, whatever you guys got probably equates to a light dusting up here. It's all relative [​IMG] My commute is less than 5 miles, in a straight line on the same street too... so that makes a difference