Should I ditch Giant anti-spyware for Microsoft's anti-spyware beta?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gary->dee, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I currently have Giant anti-spyware on my computer but the subscription has expired. As a result I've been redirected to Microsoft and to install their beta version of the anti-spyware.

Should I go with Microsoft or stick with Giant even though I can't get the latest updates? Right now I'm leaning towards ditching Giant for Microsoft's version, but I'm a bit wary about the 'beta' thing.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You might try other products, like Ad-Aware SE by Lavasoft or Spybot S&D.

Right now, the MS Beta product has a few major problems with it that make it hard for me to recommend [​IMG]

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chris,
    I have all 3 installed and it found some stuff that the other didn't.

IIRC, didn't Giant get bought up by Microsoft?

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yes. MS bought Giant.

It is true that it "finds" somethings, but unfortunately, some of it's automatic moves are not right, more then that, it tends to capture things that are not spyware (unwise.exe is a runtime uninstaller that is used by many that MS's antispyware often mistakes and.. whalla! then those programs can not be uninstalled)

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

So Microsoft's anti-spyware doesn't give you the option to ignore specific threats like Giant's software? (and I'd imagine like other anti-spyware)

For example Giant would give me the option to remove, quarentine or ignore a threat.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

personally I wouldnt use anything that was beta that has mircrosofts name on it. even if it was made originally by someone else. why would you want more loopholes for hackers on your pc. [​IMG]

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The bigger problem is their pro-active approach.

In that it detects a BHO, then prompts you "do you want to accept or not" the moment you say "accept" it's very hard to make the damn thing forget it.. and, end result, it puts it back -for you- even if you don't want it.. (great example: About! search page hijack, if you hit accept via MS Anti-Spyware agent, be prepared for a fight on your hands..)

While it somewhat gives you options, it's not very forgiving if you make the wrong one.. and while that's fine for most of us, it creates havoc for techs that are trying to work with the other people [​IMG]

8. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I've had it installed for a number of weeks. No problems for me.

9. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Yeah I went ahead and uninstalled Giant for Microsoft's anti-spyware. I haven't had any problems and the GUI is exactly the same as Giant's[screens] so I can navigate my way around easy.

I still want to thank you guys for the advice though! [​IMG]

10. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I am not a fan of Microsoft but their Beta managed to remove a browser hijacker that no other spyware program could remove. I am test driving it now but will use Ad-Aware and Spybot as well.