What's new

Should I dial in a rising response curve for sub? (1 Viewer)

So I'm finally getting around to ordering the BFD. Have Swans M-1s and an SVS 16-42PC.
Every time I have measured my settings over the years the bass reponse for freqs. under 50 or so has been 5-10 db higher than average value at 100Hz or so. With current set up on Avia my preferred setting for sub is 6 db higher than main (crossover at 80Hz.
I assume this is because of the decreased sensitivity to lower freqs. especially at the lower volumes I listen at. I have a medium size room and am about 10' back from plane of front speakers.
Here's my question. Wouldn't it be better to dial in a rising response for the sub than just equalize it flat then bump the whole low end up to my 6db increase? I'm thinking that the difficulty percieving bass gets more pronounced as freq. gets lower so wouldn't this be a more "natural" way to equalize? If yes at what db point would you start to raise the response?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s been some discussion here lately about this, Larry, and many people (myself include) think the boost at lower frequencies (a.k.a. a “house curve”) sounds better than ruler-flat response. As you’ve already determined, this is needed for bass to sound natural.
With my system response starts ramping up at 100Hz to +10dB at 32Hz, and levels off (flattens out) below that point. I didn’t like the way it sounded when I continued the rise all he way to 20Hz.
Here’s a thread with discussion on the topic:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=51646
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thanks Wayne,

Perfect thread for my question, views on the idea from different informed perspectives. Can't believe the discussion was right under my nose and I missed it. HTF at it's best. I remember trying to integrate my first home built sub with satellites 13-14 yrs ago. Waited anxiously for an article in Speaker Builder Magazine by Gary Gallo to come out on the subject. Many people were using the audio control Richter Scale as an outboard crossover. I messed with mine endlessly using his method but still couldn't get things just right. Back then you had to write in a follow up question to the author then hang out for another month or so. Anyway, your quick response was most gratifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks