What's new

Should I connect my sub to my new Panamax MAX 4300? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Just purchased a Panamax MAX 4300 line conditioner/surge suppressor. I would like to keep everything plugged into the 4300, including my sub. I understand that's what it's designed for. But, I'm just curious about the power consumption issues. I know the 4300 is rated at 15A (1800W). The "Panamax Bubble of Protection" is of secondary concern as I have an additional homeowners rider just for my computer and audio setup. Performance is the paramount concern! I have an old TrippLite surge protector I can use just for my sub and plug it into another outlet (different breaker). Will the cleaner power from the 4300 benefit my sub in any way? Or should I just plug my sub into a different outlet off a different breaker?

h/k AVR-525……..…...1024W (max)
Velodyne CHT-12…...…400W (max)….170W RMS
Denon 2900…….....………27W
Sony VCR....................19W
Toshiba 35”…..…....……125W
dual PC case fans p/s….25W

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I will be doing that this weekend but I was just wondering if the sub would benefit at all from being on a different outlet and breaker than my 525.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't notice any difference between the 4300 and the outlet, however when I moved it to a non-current limited outlet on my 5100, I noticed what seemed like an improvement in tightness. If you cannot tell a difference both ways, I'd leave it on the 4300, otherwise pick up one of their SUB-2s for $30.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John. Get one of their Sub-2's. You will need extra cable though. You'll need LFE cable coming from rec. to sub-2's line in connector and then another piece of LFE cable from the Sub-2's out connector to the LFE on the subwoofer.
When my old #5300 took a hit they had a special upgrade going on. I got the #5100 for $99.95 and they sold me Sub-2 for $25.00

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Ken & John: Good info guys! I didn't know about the Sub-2's. I'll check into it. THX

Matt:
I've had it for about a year and I still like it a lot! I didn't have the dough for an SVS at the time. If size is not an issue, it's tough to beat this sub!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Ken & John: I checked out the Panamax "Max 2" on their website. The cost of the unit plus another Better Cables "Silver Serpent" set might make that option cost prohibitive. Looks like a solid product though. Right now I have the sub plugged into the 4300 via a Panamax 10' ext cord. I was unable to tell a difference between the 4300 and another outlet. I guess my sub is still covered with the power line being connected to the 4300. But, there is no protection on the LFE lines connecting them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sub would not be covered unless you are using one of their extension cords, AFAIK.

Check www.powersystemsdirect.com for the Sub2, that's where I got mine, as well as my 4300 and 5100. If your receiver is plugged into the 4300, I don't think you need to loop the interconnect to the sub2, since both are already protected.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: Yes, my h/k 525 is connected to the 4300 and I ordered a 10' Panamax extension which is connected directly to my sub. So, I think my "Bubble of Protection" is acceptable according to Panamax.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
John, I doubt if you need a Better Cables "Silver Serpent" for sub cable. I was using Monster Cables sub cable and decided to make my own with Belden 1694A cable and Canare RCA connectors. Sounds alot better than Monster's and cheaper too. Any good RG-6 should work though.
John Garcia is correct in stating that you don't need this loop if you're connected to the 4300. It's only needed if you plug into the Sub-2. Panamax told me it was for line protection.
Ken

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Ken: For a sub application you may be right. But, I was so impressed with my Silver Serpent 5.1 interconnects for my SACD/DVD-A setup. I immediately could tell a difference from my old Monster Cable MK300's. I listen to a lot of Jazz & Blues. The vocals were more dynamic & life-like and the bottom was slightly less bloated. Shortly there after I bought the Silver Serpent dual-plug sub kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks