Should I change the differential fluids?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alf S, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    This evening I'm buying a 2003 Kia Sorento EX 4 x 4 with 14,700 miles and it's in mint condition.

It's being prepped now but looking at the owners manual last evening I noticed it said if I am considered a stop and go city driver, I should replace the differential fluids at 15,000 miles.

All I know about the car (based on Carfax) is it is a local one owner car and it did have an aftermarket tow hitch system on it. I see no signs of wear and tear and it drives very smoothly, but it did tow something at one time.

I checked the tranny fluid and it looked to be in great shape and at the appropriate level and not "foamy" as a friend told me can happen when it goes bad.

I've never changed out differential fluid in any of my cars before this one and some friends of mine say you can go a lot longer than 15,000 before chaning it.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Cost is around $130 which I'd rather use to buy the tag instead...

Note the balance of the basic warranty is 45 more months or 48,000+ miles.

Thanks
    Alfer
    p.s. This is the car I'm buying:

[​IMG]

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Do whatever the book says, that way if you have tranny troubles you'll be covered.

You wouldn't want to blow a tranny and have to spend 25 years worth of tags to replace it would you?

Brent
    Very much an underloved mini sport ute, one of the best of the minis!

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Most definitely. It's as easy as an oil change and less expensive, so why wouldn't you?
    Double yes if it's a viscous type LSD unit.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think it's a good idea but that price seems a bit high (maybe). You're talking the automatic transmisson fluid I take it. Often that also involves replacing an internal filter which you can only get at by removing a pan, as well as replacing the gasket and cleaning out any metal particles (from the casting process) that collected on a magnetic screen. You should be able to shop that around.

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Well I called around and most shops charge $60 TOTAL to do both differentials and the transfer case...way cheaper.

I plan on doing it next week.

Thanks for your input.

p.s. One shop guy said the spec book states the front diff. can wait until 30,000-45,000, but the back would for sure need changing now if towing was involved.

I'm gonna do all 3 fluid changes so I can start from a clean slate.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

seems like a fair price to me. Hell for $60 it's not even worth getting dirty.
    Keep the receipt just in case there are questions later.

7. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Heck, as long as you are going to get it changed,you might as well go with a high quality 100% synthetic lubricant that meets or exceeds the A.P.I. and manufacturer's qualifications. Well worth it in the long run[​IMG]

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer