should I change my RV-31 for another player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanN, Dec 13, 2001.

1. DanN

DanN Agent

in light of the pixelation problems I getting with some dvds (i.e. Rush Hour 2) and the fact that Infinifilm dvds seem to lock out the fast forward/review buttons on Panasonic dvds, I find myself considering whether i should get another player

even my friends JVC XV-S40, which was $40 cheaper, doesn't have these problems

however, i've always heard that the RV-31 is a solid player in this price range - so should i Keep it? is it more of a software issue? and also, is there any other players in this range that do a better job than the RV-31 with layer changes?

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have the RV-31, and I didn't have any pixelation problems with Rush Hour 2. RH2 does have an ugly layer change, but I don't think that's just on the RV-31. Maybe you just got a bum unit.

3. DanN

DanN Agent

i was thinking it might be the disc since i would see pixelation in a couple of scenes but when i went over them again, i had no problems

incidently, did you notice your fast forward/review functions being disabled at all?

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

If I recall correctly, I think Thirteen Days disabled the fast forward control on mine. I rarely use those controls (since I watch a movie straight through), but I can understand how that would be annoying. So long as they put enough chapter stops that I don't have to rewatch too much of the movie, I'm cool with it. Besides, the RV-31 is an excellent player for the price, and I haven't run across a single problem with any of my 376 discs.