What's new

Should I care about minor fore/aft difference in tripole surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Bob Lee

Agent
I am in the process of upgrading to a 7.1 configuration, and have selected M&K tripoles (Surround 55's) as my L/R surrounds. I would like to mount them to the wall directly to the sides of my seating position. On the left side this is no problem, as there's a stud inside my left wall that's perfectly placed. However, on the right side the wall stud is about 8 inches further back. Is this difference enough to be concerned about, or should I not really notice the difference since the tripoles will be diverting the sound anyway? Alternatively I can just mount the right speaker on the drywall, as according to the instructions on my speaker mounts (Omnimount) this is okay, but it seems to me that it would be much safer to mount it on wood. Anyone have any stories, good or bad, about mounting speakers on drywall?
------------------
Bob Lee

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about studs - good drywall anchors will support a surprising amount of weight. Properly installed you will not have a problem. Just make sure you use anchors specified for at least the weight you are planning on using (personally I prefer to double the spec just in case).
So this frees up your placement options, regardless of stud location. You may choose to use the standard 'null' position with the side surround speakers adjacent to the listening position. Given the particular design of the M&Ks, however, you may find you achieve better overall results with the side surrounds located slightly behind you at 110 degrees (either side is 90 degrees, directly in front of you is zero degrees). You get both the direct sound of the forward firing drivers, plus the ambience of the rear drivers.
Regardless of where you choose to place the side surrounds it is generally recommended that the rear EX/ES surrounds are placed at 150 degrees.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Bob Lee

Agent
Thanks Jay! Regarding rear surround position, when you say that they should be placed a 150 degrees, is that relative to the seating position, i.e. is directly behind the seating position considered 180 degrees?
------------------
Bob Lee

Bob Lee

Agent
Whoops! Sorry Jay, I read your reply too quickly the first time, and just now realized you already answered my question. Thanks again for your advice.
------------------
Bob Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks