Should I buy Tron:SE? (I haven't seen it yet)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Porter, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I've been reading the praises and rave reviews of this film and I was wondering if I should buy it. I am a CG fan owning about 3 or 4 CG films. This being the inspiration of Toy Story, I'm very interested and intrigued. So should I buy this without a rental or rent it first? Or do I appreciate CG enough to buy this without a first view?

~Kevin

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

It's CG, but not flashy CG in the 90's sense. Many times it's very basic, but very creative and quite beautiful (to me).

The film plays more like an Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of Oz and the conceptualization of the "CPU world" is what is groundbreaking (although the CG was at the time too).

So I wouldn't count on your Toy Story love, but if you can dig stuff like Oz a bit then it might be worth the risk. The CPU world look still stands out as beautifully unique and inventive, even though we don't have a total CGI world or Jurassic Park dinos.

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I would suggest renting it first. I remember watching this way back when in the theatres and recall disappointing reviews. I myself liked it....that's why I picked it up earlier this evening. Not everyone will like it though.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I first saw Tron in the theater when it was released and always thought it was cool.But being older now, I really see how WAY ahead of its time it was. It was always a movie people like myself liked (guys in Sci Fi,comic books and such)

I have been putting off buying Tron on DVD or watching a old nasty copy I have for so long and just watched the SE, and I loved it!!!!

Of course, you may want to rent it first but I cant recommend it enough.

Some nice extras too and a really special "Making Of" as well(which is one of the few extras I really care about). Along with The Thing,12 Monkeys,and Superman its the best "Making Of"s Ive seen.

As said above, Tron was never really for everyone,but its easily one of my favorite releases so far this year.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I would definitely recommend renting it first. I never saw the movie when I was younger (I'm 29 now) and watched the original release on DVD a couple of months ago. I loved the "look" to Tron and the early 80's feel. (I would also like to see the new documentary.) However, I found this movie lacking. I really couldn't get into it. I think this may be the kind of movie you needed to see when you were younger. Maybe I should have seen this movie when I was younger instead of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Star Wars movies nearly ten times each. [​IMG]

6. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

It's not CG, I think it's cell animation, very stylish effects. I recommend buying it because it's a revolution in f/x work.

7. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Dear Dharmesh C. Tron does contain CGI! It's early stuff, but it was mind boggling to watch when it first came out!

8. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

After some research, I found this on my website:
    Actually, most of the computerised looking effects were actually achieved NOT with CGI but backlit animation cels animated by hand frame by frame.
    Yes, there is some revolutionary CGI in there (the bike chase being the biggy) but most of the computer simulations are, um... er, simulated
    You are right, Danny.
    [​IMG]

9. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I watched this for the first time since I was a kid last night, after picking up the SE, and while there was quite a bit of cel animation, I was suprised by how much was CG. It's probably about 30%, and it looks great on DVD. The rest of it was early '80s cheese, but that's how I like my cheese. [​IMG]

10. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

I'd also recommend renting first. TRON was cool when I originally saw it in grade school back in the 80s but I now find it pretty hokey and not very well-paced. The computer effects are still pretty cool, though...