What's new

Should I buy these?? please any advise?? (1 Viewer)

MOZfreek

Grip
Real Name
Fabian

Ok so here's the deal some guy is selling me these for 80.00 bucks. He's the original owner, he's had them for 6 yrs. Im looking to upgrade from my cheap towers that i own now, but i dont know if the cost to repair these are worth it. Obviously I don't know much about speakers to know if these are good or not. I would appreciate any help, Im gonna list what i have maybe it would help anyone with advise:

Harman/Kardon avr 635
Kenwood jl-776 (cheap towers I want to upgrade)
JBL center venue series
Cambridge Soundworks PSW-1 (sub)
Cambridge Soundworks s100 (surrounds Bipole/Dipole)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
80 bucks? that's a steal! I can't tell from the photos, but if what needs to be fixed is minor, then I'd go for it. You can still get all hte parts straight from JBL for these. I'm particular to JBL because so many of the stage theaters and planetariums I've worked at used JBL that I've grown accustomed to the sound.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like the terminal post screwcaps are missing (probably a couple of five-cent nuts would fill-in or those) and one of the speakers has a banged in cone...from what can be seen in the pictures.

MOZfreek

Grip
Real Name
Fabian
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Looks like the terminal post screwcaps are missing (probably a couple of five-cent nuts would fill-in or those) and one of the speakers has a banged in cone...from what can be seen in the pictures.
The banged in cone, is that going to make it sound different or is it just cosmetics?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
About the banged in cone! Perhaps it explains why they are for sale for $80. You need to assess the damage I think you should assume that it is shot. Contact JBL and find out how much a replacement will cost and add that in to your cost and rethink is this still a good deal. Also are you the kind of person who feels confident in making the repair yourself or are you going to have to pay someone to do it?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
and one of the speakers has a banged in cone...from what can be seen in the pictures.

The banged in cone, is that going to make it sound different or is it just cosmetics?

I think those are just dust covers for the voice coils and don't impact sound quality but I'm not really sure. There is a pair of 4" dust caps that appear similar to those on ebay right now for a Buy It Now price of $5.99+sh. There are speakr repair companies that sell them and refoaming kts fairly cheaply. If they still work, $80 sounds like a good deal to me.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The dented cone should make no difference in the sound. You might can get it back out with a vacuum cleaner, from what I've heard. Just be careful.
As far as the binding post parts, I'm sure you can get them from JBL. They are a pretty standard thing. I don't think those will fit only on JBLs. You might even be able to find them at Radio Shack or online at partsexpress.com.
Good luck!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I remember reading some testing on what shape dust cover was the best...the test came back "it doesn't matter" So, the dented dust cover might be no problem other than looks. And, as the previous poster said, you might be able to suck it back into shape with a vacuum cleaner.

The binding posts are a common thing, you can get them even at the Shack.

If the speakers are functional, then they are worth more than $80 easily.

MOZfreek

Grip
Real Name
Fabian
Well I bought these, for 70 dollars the cone was pushed in, bought straight for JBL for 40 bucks, they sound amazing, I took Ed's advice and went to the radioshack and got binding post for 8 bucks......Iam happy with these speakers, alot of bass!....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polnrg
Recent bookmarks