Should I buy the Samsung HD931 ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by anthony_b, Oct 23, 2003.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

It has the Faroudja’s DCDi chip and also the DVI output. It could be had for about $250. Should I take a chance on it ?

Note: I'm not interseted in the Denon 1600.

2. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

personally I wouldn't buy anything from Samsung, but it's your call.
    Every owner review I've seen of their products has noted how poor the reliability is on their products, how completely useless their support techs are, and how hopeless and bad their customer service is.
    I was looking at a couple of their products at one point myself, including their DLP HDTVs.

The specs sound nice though.
    Unless DVI is a must, the LiteOn for $150 sounds like a really nice DVD player right now.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Sean, I know what your saying but, how reliable is the Lite-on ?

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

With these budget dvi players I personally think its a crap shoot but for $250 I think the Samsung is the best of the lot(not saying much).

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung to go with a new TV purchase.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I remember paying $350 for my first interlaced player almost 4 years ago !!...(just trying to justify the purchase [​IMG] ).

6. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

I can't comment about Samsung as I have never owned one of their products. But, boy there sure seems to be alot of people that are impressed with the Lite-On, both here as well as on other forums. If this product is anything like their cd burners and dvd drives, of which I've owned several, then it should be of good quality. For $150, I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of these.

7. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

I can't really tell you since the LiteOn is a brand new unit. No time in the field to say at this point, but LiteOn's PC components like their CDRW and DVD-R drives are very affordable, and very solid, reliable, and some of the best in performance to boot. (their CD write speeds, DVD write speeds, and DAE speeds are top ranked)
    for $150, it HAS to be better than any other similar offerings, considering most of them are from APEX *grin*
    I'm sure if ya get a good Samsung, it'll serve ya well. I am just wary of their high failure rates looking at sites like audioreview dot com, which has a vast database of owner reviews to peruse.

What's better for about $250? Denon, but that was ruled out by the person asking already.

There's always the Meridian 800 if you have a spare twenty grand laying about in a shoe box!
    [​IMG]

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

What about the Bravo D1, I thought that was the one to get if you were going DVI?

9. *Luke*

*Luke* Agent

I LOVE my 61" Samsung DLP ! [​IMG]

10. Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck Stunt Coordinator

When the HD931 first arrived I was excited about seeing what it could do. We set one up on a 55" Mitsu (silver series) with Men in Black. I've watched MIB a few times and it's a pretty good transfer . . . that was destroyed by the Samsung player. On the two movies I saw on it (MIB and Lost in Space . . . granted lost in space isn't the best dvd transfer out there) there was considerably more grain through the dvi than there was through the component output on the same player. My supervisor has the Samsung 931 w/ DVI and a Pioneer 563 w/ component, and he and my manager compared the two and on some things, mostly animated/computer animated films like Monsters Inc, they said it looked better. On most regular films like Two Towers and MIB, they said the grain was considerably worse. The way I'm thinking about the whole DVI player deal is that some great companies, namely Pioneer Elite and Denon have DVI players with the HD upconversion for around 1600 and 2000 respectively. I have a hard time believing that Samsung of all people can offer a "new" technology product for less than a quarter of the price of noted companies and be anywhere near as good. That's just my two cents.

Brandon

11. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

Bingo. There is the problem, it's a DIGITAL player on an ANALOG set. The DVI players are for DLP, LCD, and Plasmas. Analog direct views & rear projections MUST convert that signal to analog inside the TV. Fixed pixel digital displays do not do this conversion, thus keeping the info in the digital domain. Some players even match the native resolution of these displays, thus acheiving 1:1 pixel mapping. Before you analog owners flame me, I tried an HD931 on my Pioneer Elite Pro630HD a couple of weeks ago. My Denon 1600 put it to shame, not to mention it was a hell of alot more user friendly.

12. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Skyler, why are the newer analog sets coming with the DVI input ? (copy protection only ?) I'm pretty sure manufactures do not want to display sub-par video performances on their sets...[​IMG]

13. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

that's probably exactly why.
    MPAA is pushing for HD DVD to require DVI for the hardware digital encryption, so if this comes to pass, any HDTV without DVI will instantly become obsolete, and I'll get to see how Mitsubishi sticks to their claim that their TVs are really "upgradeable" when I demand they supply mine with a DVI port.
    heh

Not too likely I'm sure.

14. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

David Ranada from S&V who did a review on the Bravo d1 using
    the DVI output claimed it was almost "refrence quality".

I'm so confused about all this, I might just get an APEX..[​IMG] ..Really, the choices out there for getting a decent DVD player under $275 is almost impossible !!

15. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Does the samsung only upconvert to 720/1080 with the DVI input? Anyone...

16. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

17. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

Anthony, if you don't have a Front Projector, DLP, LCD, or Plasma, keep looking. What display device do you have?

18. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Skyler, I have a 48 inch widscreen analog set with a dvi-HDCP input...So, picture improvement over DVI is not noticable unless you have a Front Projector, DLP, LCD, or Plasma ?

19. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

There are a few people reporting big differences by using a 931 or a Bravo with an analog set. My set has 2 HDCP DVI ports. I tried the Sammy, with many different DVD's. I actually burned Episode II, Monsters Inc, LOTR EE, and Starship Troopers Superbit, so I could flip inputs on the Pioneer Elite PTV while lokking at the same software. I saw ZERO improvement with the DVI player. As a matter of fact, I saw some haloing on the Sammy. I REALLY wanted it to work, badly. My Pioneer has a native res of 1080i as well. The Denon 1600 as well as my old XP50 rendered a smoother, more pleasing image. I'm currently evaluating a new Pace HD cable box between DVI & Component.

20. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm basically looking to replace my interlaced player with a progressive one (dvd-a would be a plus since I have a seperate sacd unit). maybe I'll just get the toshiba 4900.