Should I buy the Logitech Z-5500s, the Z-680s, or neither?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Darian Tucker, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Darian Tucker

Darian Tucker Auditioning

I'm looking for a budget surround sound system to buy, and people have suggested either the Z-680 speakers or the Z-5500s. The speakers I own now are crap, and I live in a small condo, so I do not need an uber-system, but one in the $250-300 price range that will offer good sound and adequate bass. I now ask you whether or not either of these systems is more worth it, or if there is something better in my price range?

2. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

I have the Logitech Z680 hooked up to my PC. I was able to find it for $200 so shop around. I've watched a few movies on my computer to try it out and it decodes DTS and DD with no problems. I find that the bass is a little boomy but it's pretty loud.

3. Darian Tucker

That's good to know. Just curious. Can you hook the thing up to a receiver? Because I have a good receiver with 5 or 6 A/V components already plugged in, and I don't want to have to use the Z-680 to switch out every time I change an audio source.

4. Rogelio D

Rogelio D Agent

Many have been picking up the Athena Micra 6 system. It was on sale for around $200 at Best Buy, but looks like the price for black is back to $299.

I haven't heard its sub (got one but haven't hooked it up yet) and don't know how it would compare to the logitech, but it might be worth a listen.

5. Darian Tucker

Interesting. I'll check that out, too. But as for the Logitech, like I said, can you hook it up to a receiver or do you have to use its built-in decoding?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.jr.com has the Acoustic Research HC-6 for $269. I installed this setup in a den for my dad and it works surprisingly well and looks great in that gloss piano black.

The Micra 6 was going for $207 for a while, but the price is up to $299, which is still pretty good. Oddly enough, the silver version is $450...

7. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

You can use the Z-680 as a pre-amp and plug the digital output on your DVD player directly into it. It has both an optical and coax digital inputs as well as a 6-channel direct input on the back of the control component. The digital inputs are separate so you could theoretically have a cable box/sat receiver using one and the DVD player using the other. The volume would be adjusted with the included remote control.

8. Darian Tucker

What I'm saying, though, is that my audio/video receiver already has like 4 or 5 composite audio inputs, and I use those for just about everything except my PS2 and my Xbox, since they support digital optical out. What I want to know is if the Logitech speakers can accept speaker cables and hook directly into my receiver, or if it has its own special speaker cables that it utilizes, because in that case I'll have to look at something else since I want to enable Pro Logic II via composite input, which I don't believe the Z-680 has built-in.

9. John Garcia

John
    ?? If your receiver does at least DPL, it will be able to understand a PLII encoded signal, whether digital or analog, which is stereo regardless of connection type. I'm not sure if you will get the same effect though, because the PLII signal is backwards compatible with DPL but I believe it will still give you just DPL output without a decoder that can handle PLII/IIx

(composite is video, not audio)

10. Darian Tucker

I 'm probably not making myself clear. I meant to say RCA inputs. My receiver has a bunch of RCA inputs. But, as far as I know, the Z-680 has none. I want to use RCA audio cables and get Pro Logic II, but I won't be able to with the Z-680 unless the speakers use normal speaker wire and can hook up to my A/V receiver. That's all I'm worried about, whether or not I'll be able to use the speakers with my current receiver to get Pro Logic II from sources with RCA outputs.

11. John Garcia

John

Which means it DOES have ONE analog input, but it is a 6ch (direct) analog input so it would seem that you wouldn't be able to apply processing to it.

What I was saying is, if available, you can use a DIGITAL connection, which will STILL give you PLII...it doesn't have to be passed via analog only.

I don't think you can use them with your receiver either. The speakers can probably be connected, but I read in a review that there is a special connection between the "receiver" and the sub, which distributes the sound and power to the satellites, so you could use the sats, but not the sub.

12. Darian Tucker

Meh. That's too bad. I guess I'm going to have to go with something else, then.

13. Darian Tucker

Ah, never mind. I just contacted Logitech support, and they said that the system has a 3.5mm jack, so all I have to do is buy a simple Y splitter with RCA inputs on one end and a 3.5mm connector on the other. Perfect. I guess that means I can sell my receiver if I need to.

14. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

why would u buy a multimedia system if u have a receiver, im thinking a buncha bookshelfs and a sub would do much better.

15. John Garcia

John
    Agreed. A minijack also operates on a lower voltage, so your sound is going to be compromised somewhat by using the Y adapter. I've done it before, it works, but not perfectly.