should I buy the ENERGY TAKE 5.2 speaker package?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leon_R, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Leon_R

Leon_R Auditioning

Ok, I am a college student and can´t buy 2000 dollars on a pair of speakers... so many people have recommended me the energy satellite speaker system. Anyone know about these? Are they worth it? Also, I plan on buying a subwoofer for these satellites speakers. I am choosing VELODNE. Should I buy the 8 " sub or the 10 " sub? Will the 8 be to weak or will the 10 be to overpowering for the satellite speakers? Some people tell me that I need a powerfull sub due to the fact that I don´t have floorstanding speakers but satellites ? others tell me it my overpower by satellite speakers? what do you think?

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Get the Energy 5.2's and the 10" sub. You will be fine. Are you in a dorm?

3. Leon_R

Leon_R Auditioning

paul: well, my room is not small nor is it big . The only problem is that my house is surrounded by too many windows and the floor has no carpet, so I guess I will get used to rattling....
    Also, you heard anything about these speakers? and sub?

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

every review i've ever read about the take 5.2 system has been good. this system is always on the top 10 or best-value type lists.
    i've never heard them personally, but if you go by general critical consensus...you can't go wrong.
    all the awards are on the official website:
    http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5...rs_system.html

5. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have the first version, and I think they're great. They will not satisify for critical 2 channel listening, but for HT, they are wonderful!

My only caution is that the center channel is a bit weak in the lower mid, upper bass. But not enough to not recommend the package. The differences between it and a price-is-no-object center isn't that great. If you ever decide to upgrade the center, you will likely have to upgrade the left and right as well, since there's no Energy Center which properly matches the Take satelite speakers.

As for the sub, the bigger the better. Bigger doesn't mean louder relative to the Take speakers. Once you properly calibrate, all subs will play at the same volume for a given receiver volume, up to the particular sub's limits.

A better sub will mean cleaner bass at the same levels. Which is why a good sub is still recommended in lower volume listening environments.

All IMHO, and YMMV.

Martin.

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Energy makes very good speakers. I have the Encores and Veritas in my two systems. The Take 5.2 is the upgrade from the Take 5 and is even better from what was already a good budget system.
    Go for it[​IMG]

7. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

8. For what they were and the price of the system, I think the original take5's were a pretty darn good starter speaker. If you are looking for the "bose" LOOK (ie small satalite system, then the Energy's are a pretty good! Much better price, and much better performance.

I have no idea how the new Take5's are, but I doubt they are worse. They will have higher group delay since they are ported, but they won't have as much of a "hole" in the mid bass.

now, the comparison against the JBL isn't fair!!
    1) You can get the Take5 system for considerably less than the JBL one.
    2) A mini satalite system to full size bookshelf is apples and oranges.

9. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

10. Bill, NP...just trying to make that clear for the original poster [​IMG]

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

12. Leon_R

Leon_R Auditioning

The reason for me buying this setup was because I originally bought a home theater in a box system and ended sounding terrible .Its the kenwood package with reciever sub and satellites. I sold that horrible sounding system so now knowing that energy is good I would like to know if this reciever is good for energy? its the new line of recievers from denon the avr 1603 at 300 dollars. I still don´t why this reciever is priced so chaep? Is it worth it ? it has 80 watt per channel and its 5.1 (not interested in 6 or 7.1) Also some guy told me that the yamaha rxv800 is much better and its now cheap (only 400 dollars) being an 800 dollar reciever when it was introduced 2 years ago.
    what do you guys think?