Should I buy Sony or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Da, May 4, 2004.

1. Mike Da

Mike Da Auditioning

Hi Folks,
    I am new to all this, that is Forum, Projector HDTV etc.
    I want to buy a reasonably priced projector to watch DVD's.
    This will be used in a regular living room - not a specially designed home theatre.
    My choice has boilled down to: a SONY VPL CS6, SONY VPL ES1 (HDTV) or a PANASONIC PTL500U
    My principle objectives are to obtain the best possible picture quality from my DVD's.Progessive scan and soon DVI-D output.
    The projector would be used during the day - closed drapes - low light and at night - dark - situations.
    Which one should I go for?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

If you're mostly interested in watching DVDs, you should look at the Sony HS series, (HS3 and HS20, I have the HS3), which are optimized for home theater use. I think the Sony models you are looking at are primarily for business presentations. You can get the HS3 for around $1k, or the HS20 for around $2.8k. The main difference, AFAIK, is that the home models are 16:9, while the business models are 4:3, plus the home models somehow look brighter for movie watching - someone else around here will know much more about it.

Lots of people have a low opinion of Sony gear, but to be honest, I've never had a problem with it - the build quality generally seems good. I just hooked up my projector last night to watch Gladiator, and even before tweaking, it performed very well.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am very pleased with my older Sony 11HT (no problems) and the HS20 is better in just about every way. Can't go wrong with it, or the Panny 500 to.

4. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Neither.

I would advise on an Advent TV at Best Buy. The best quality money can buy for best price.

A 100% success rate with all customers. Not one return. :wink:

5. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

I have the Panasonic AE-500, excellent picture quality. Very happy with it for the price. Sony I used to love however I find they are overpriced for what you get.