Should I buy Sony or Hitachi LCD rear proj.?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank_G, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Frank_G

Frank_G Auditioning

Hi, I'm thinking on buying a 60" LCD rear projection and wonder which one is better...Hitachi Ultravision Digital 60V500, or a 60" Sony Grand Vega LCD Rear Projection KF60WE610. (Thinking Plasma/LCD just doesen't give you the size yet for the price). Are these TV's the top of the line? Salesman says so...
    Thanks alot
    Frank

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered a crt rear projection? Best bang for the buck, best overall picture quality, and I personally feel that the digital technologies need more time to evolve and come down in price. Sorry I can't comment specifically about the models you mentioned.

3. Frank_G

Frank_G Auditioning

CRT rear projection? No I haven't. How big can you get them? Do you have any suggestions for me?

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

For the price CRT RPTV's are cheaper for the size but they are alot larger. Also IMHO the off angle viewing of a typical RPTV isn't as good as LCD or DLP. That said they aren't perfect but they also don't have to deal with convergence issues like CRT Based RPTV's.

Now if you want to go towards the LCD/DLP route, I've seen both the Hitachi and the Sony's and to me the Hitachis are superior looking sets. The 60" Hitachi has also come down in price.

It's all a matter of what compromises you wish to make. If I was to buy a normal RPTV then I'd go with a Mits specifically the 55413 but PQ wise(minus the black level) I thought that the LCD sets were superior(to me).

5. DarrenAbes

DarrenAbes Auditioning

I can't speak specifically about the models in question, but I have a 2000 Model Hitachi non HDTV RPTV, and have been very happy with it, with no troubles in 3 years of very frequent use. I happily endorse the brand from my experience, and at the time I to was impressed with the picture quality and found it noticably better than other brands in the category.

6. Jeff Edrich

Jeff Edrich Auditioning

Just purchased a hitachi 57S700 Ultravision (Rear projection 16*9 Hi-def)and have had it for about 2 weeks. I am very impressed by how good an ordinary cable signal looks on it and the image from a dvd with component cables is as close to perfect as i've ever seen. Very happy with the quality of the image.

7. Frank_G

Frank_G Auditioning

Thank you all, looks like Hitachi!

8. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Having just purchased one of these sets (after trying both of them), you might want to ready up here:

SONY

and here:

Hitachi

I ended up with the SONY, SD was much better than the Hitachi, Black levels, independant color adjustment and a nicer remote were about all I found better on the Hitachi. Both sets look great, but with my Hitachi, I recieved a bum set, anything that could have gone wrong with it did (well, know issues).