What's new

Should I buy Phantom Menace on LD? (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but the best letterbox presentation really doesn't hold a candle to ana anamorphic picture. And that is one element that anyone with a 16:9 display can attest to. I doubt in any way that the audio can be such a difference, especially reading the comments here. I can say that I have regretted every single non-anamorphic picture, and this would be one more.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I would just like to say that on my very modest system, the sound still sounds better on the LD. Just to see if I wasn't biased I asked my brother to listen to the both of them. If there ever was an opposite of an audiophile it would be my brother. Anyway he noticed the difference in bass but also said it sounded like there were missing sound effects. However, I wouldn't go out and buy the LD unless you can get it for a very good price.
Just my two cents.

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity...that beat up '75 model wouldn't be a Stingray or something would it???
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Alex & Brent, IMO it's one of the two or three best sounding LD's or DVD's, either. It has the about the best localising of effects I've heard. It's my EX reference disc too. The colour I get off it using the LD-S9 and HLD-X9 rivals DVD. The lines of resolution aren't as good as DVD , but these players smooth things out better than you likely imagine.
It's a shame LD-G didn't get in the LD spec's earlier. Multiple subtitles that could be removed or changed are certainly possible with LD-G. I have a Japanese STAR TREK LD where this is possible. Subtitles needn't be "burned in", but mostly were because it made the discs fully-compatiable with all older players. Alan LD-G is basically the same as Closed Captioning.
I believe the studios preferred burned in subtitles due to their concerns over boot-legging. I think they believe a subtitled disc was a far less desirable master. I think it's worth noteing that all Muse Hi-Vision LDs have burned-in subtitles and in the frame too, an obviously designed-in shortcoming. I was fast on this Rob, wasn't I?
SWPM was the last hurrah of the format. It's one of the best technically too, sound wise. The pic is well above average too, but (!) it is one of the most player dependent discs I've encountered. It looks much brigter and colourful on a Japanese hi-end player than any of the Elite players I've seen display it, 99, 79, 59, 95, and the Denon LA-3500 for good measure. The 99 cuts the video noise very nearly as well as the Japanese duo, S9 & X9, but can't impart the colour detail.
I'm not too compelled to buy the DVD, but by tuesday I'll proably be bored enough to trek down to Busted Buy and get a copy. I have a $5 off coupon to burn, what the heck. I won't be giving up the LD no matter what though.... Best wishes, cats!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!
[Edited last by Rachael B on October 12, 2001 at 12:14 AM]

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I bought my Phantom Menace laserdisc way back when it came out. I paid somewhere in the ballpark of $90 for my copy. When I heard the announcement for the DVD I decided to keep my copy and not part with it. First off, there was no info at the time regaurding the forced extra footage. I had this feeling that Lucas would do something like that, so I said I'll keep my LD. I'm glad I did.
I love that disc. It is probably the most watched disc in my collection next to The Empire Strikes Back.
I would advise anyone who holds the slightest intrest in the film to pick up the laserdisc. I absolutly love it, and I'm glad I decided on keeping it. There is just something about laserdiscs that make them seem cooler that DVDs. I just don't see myself ever parting with my Star Wars collection on laserdisc.
I think the worst part is the fact that I have 2 copies of the THX versions. One sealed and one opened for my viewing pleasure. I have the Dolby Digital Special Edition Box Set. And, I have the Phantom Mencace. I want to pick up a copy of the Jap Special Edition Box Set and the Definitive Collection Box Set. The thing is I just couldn't break up my collection and ditch the Phantom Menace laserdisc. Chances are, I'd watch it over the DVD once I've watched the DVD a few times.
Buy the laserdisc, it's cheap right now and worth the price in my opinion.
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Racheal - pick up the DVD. The supplementary material is worth it alone. One of the best documentaries I ever seen.
By the time I finished watching it - it was too late to listen to the movie at levels high enough to do real critical listening. Oh well, something to do tonight! :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lou, I imagine next tuesday evening I'll be annoying the neighbors with the DVD. I doubt I'll have anything better to do. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks