What's new

should I buy paradigm sub? (1 Viewer)

byron

Auditioning
Looking for advice: I'm using Paradigm Mini Monitors for front, Paradigm AMS-150R in ceiling for rear. Should I match with a Paradigm sub? If so, which one? Does tonal balancing matter with a sub?

(BTW, I have been using a big Velo FSR15, but it is not Wife-Approved :frowning: It has worked well with this set-up, tho)

Room size is ~4000 cu. ft.

HT is mainly for movies, but I want decent musicality for soundtracks.

Thanks for advice!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you aren't going for the PW-2200 or Servo 15 at a discounted price (I haven't heard the Seismics), then no.

Though subs definitely do sound different, there is no tonal matching with a sub, so no it isn't important to match brands with one.

Price range?

Take a look at the offerings from www.hsuresearch.com and www.svsubwoofers.com

byron

Auditioning
price range: I'd be willing to spend up to $1000, but only if really necessary. My Velodyne cost about that much, but the wife won't let it in the room! What should I be looking for in subs for this set-up? Again, mainly for movies (I listen to serious music in another room).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
HSU VTF-3 in a nice wood finish might pass the WAF. SVSs come in various finishes on certain models in your price range, such as the PB-12 Plus. Neither are very small; about the same size as the DD-15. The PW-2200 is about the same size as well.

Have you thought about one of the smaller Velos? They have the SPL-R, DPS and the new Mini-Vee.

byron

Auditioning
smaller is better. I'm open to brand, just not familiar with price/performance of various models. 10" would probably suffice.

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
i've got a paradigm pw2200 and i like it, i'm no expert but everything i've read shows it being a good sub plus for the price i paid i couldn't go wrong. mind you it's not a great choice if your wife has to see it mind you for $30 maybe you could buy a nice piece of wood and stain it and place it over it and make it look like a coffee table that way she'd never know :p

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you want something that will hide away easily and you have an open space adjacent to your HT room (attic, garage, crawl space, closet) then you should really look at an IB setup. A couple of high excursion 15" drivers and a 1500w pro amp (Ascend Atlas 15" and BFD Europower come to mind) would give you the absolute best bass for the money and take up absolutely no floor space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks