What's new

Should I buy open box? (1 Viewer)

MikeArcher

Grip
My local Walmart has a Sanyo Ht30744 on sale for $697 because it was a display model. I also have a friend that works at Walmart so I can get his employee discount, total cost to me would be around $627. Overall the t.v. seems like a good fit to what I've been looking for, but I don't want to get it home and have it break on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have bought 2 open box items from Circuit City and both were in excellent condition and gave me no problems. I believe that open box items are usually covered by the same warranty that the "in the box" item is. That is CC's policy anyway. Check with the store personnel first to make sure that the open box item is under warranty. Also, sometimes the open box items are missing components, i.e., manuals, remotes, etc.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I would skip an open box special on a display. It has who knows many hours on it, plus most in store displays have the contrast & brightness cranked way up, not good. How much of a savings is that price?

-Dave

SimiA

Second Unit
DaveHo is way correct on this one!!!
Stay away from any display model. They always run them in torch mode, which will significantly shorten the life of the set.
Vb

John S

Senior HTF Member
What is the current price of a new model? I always gauge these things on the dal at hand.
Do some internet searches on the model.

A deal has to be basically almost half of what it can be had for, to make me consider an open box display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks