Should I buy Onkyo TXDS797 or Denon 2802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle W. Findley, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Kyle W. Findley

Kyle W. Findley Auditioning

Looking for opinions on Onkyo TXDS797 or Denon 2802. I can get a good deal on both units and am going through a debate of which one I want to get. I have listened to both units and am going more towards the Denon 2802. I am not able to do a good test demo of the Onkyo because of the store's setup. However, I am sure it is a great piece and THX EX is tempting me to give it a try. And I can get the Onkyo for $100.00 less than the Denon too. Another reason. However, can anyone here give me an opinion on how the Denon's matrix back surround channel sounds with Dolby Digital titles?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Not being a THX post-processing supporter (adds unnecessary things to the sound you can't disable), I'd say that the Denon does an excellent job with DD EX encoded movies.
    DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoding is excellent too.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

3. Chad Parks

Chad Parks Stunt Coordinator

I think you should go for the Denon.

4. chris georgeson

I think you're right on target, you'll like either receiver and their features; and will learn to enjoy what is new to you and will begin to differentiate from your previous experience with non-THX and non-EX (thx or otherwise) experiences in HT.

5. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

With regards to power output and dynamic headroom, the Onkyo 797 should be compared to the Denon 3802. And they are similar in weight.
    Between the Denon 2802 and the Onkyo 797, you should definitely buy the Onkyo.
    [Edited last by Paul_Psutka on October 28, 2001 at 10:00 PM]