Should I buy Mits 73903 for $2K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Noah Katz, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Noah Katz

Noah Katz Auditioning

1999 open-box model at Anderson's. I'd check for burn-in and get the extended warranty.

I seem to remember one of the early 73" models being troublesome.

Does it calibrate well and hold the settings for a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

This is a TV that went for $10Gs when new. Manufacturer's cost is probably in the neighborhood of $5500, meaning that if it's marked down to $2000 the store is willing to eat $3500 just to get rid of it. That's a bad sign. Another bad sign is that it's three years old and the store still has it... it's either been on display (10-12 hrs a day) for three years now, or it's been through their service dept a few times. The latter is more likely, especially in light of the fact they're willing to take it in the butt to the tune of $3500 just to be rid of it. I'd steer clear unless it's in near-perfect shapre (unlikely for one this old).

As I recall the 903 line doesn't have high-speed (HD) component inputs... you need to buy an adapter to get it to do progressive DVD or HDTV. If that's the case, as I recall that adapter is available through Mitsubishi, but at $400ish. On the plus side, the 73" Mitsus are one of the few TVs to use 9" projector guns, making a very brght and detailed picture. Mitsus also, in general, calibrate very well and last a good long time. Good luck!

3. MikeAcc

MikeAcc Agent

Not sure about the home audio/video industry, but in car audio a dealer got well below dealer cost to purchase demo amps, speakers, cd players, etc. It is possible the store is losing no money at all. When i used to work in the car side, demo amps and such were anywhere from 35-50% dealer cost.

Something to consider, not sure if this is the case or not.

4. Noah Katz

Noah Katz Auditioning

Thanks for your help, I'm going to look at it later today.