should I buy extended warranty???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Binh Vu, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

I'll have a SONY KP-51HW40 deli this Sat. But I forgot to buy extended warranty (cost about $400 for 3 or 4 years). Please let me know ASAP if I should buy that warranty or not? If I should, I'll have to go to goodguys tomorrow.

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Depends on what it covers. First off, a 5-year extended warranty, IMHO, should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%-15% of the cost of the TV... a $400 warranty on a $2500 TV is a bit steep.

Second, be sure that the warranty you are being offered includes tune-ups and calibrations; usually one calibration every three years is plenty, but if this preventative maintenace isn't covered by the warranty extention, that's a bad sign.

Third, makes ure the warranty is a "repair or replace" coverage... some extended warranties give the provider (ie, the store) the option of refunding the cost of the warranty rather than undertaking an extremely expensive repair. Most good stores will take care of you, but you should have it in writing that the coverage you purchase will cover repair or replacement.

In general, I think an extended warranty on any RPTV is a good idea... it's likely nothing will go wrong, but when something does go wrong, it is an hellacious repair bill to swallow.

3. Binh Vu

Thanks Jim, I guess I should buy it then as my wife is #1 on watching cable television. Yeah, I think they'll cover everythings. But I don't think they'll tune ups and calibrations.

4. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

Bein a "GoodGuy" I can tell you exactly what it covers.

It covers unlimited in home service calls ...
    (they wont ISF your T.V. ) but I have customers who have had grayscale convergence geometry and electro/manual focus on their sets every 6 months and Ive suggested that for every customer Ive had ...... even though you can do it as many times as you want .....

Ive been in this business goin on 6 years and there are programs available at every retailer ... this is a really comprehensive program ... it is backed by G.E. who offers several different programs to different retailers .... goodguys has the best out of the seven .... so you dont have to worry about them refunding your warranty money if the problem is too costly ....

One thing ..... It should be about that much for a 5 year I dont think there is one for 4 years .. just 3 and five year programs .......

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mark, info straight from the horse's mouth. Most of the better electronics stores offer pretty similar benefits with their coverages, but there are no GGs here in Colorado so I wasn't sure.

Bihn, I would definitely look into getting that coverage on your TV, but make sure to take full advantage of it! Use those in-home calls to have your TV set-up every year or so... as Mark said, it's not an ISF-level calibration, but I'm sure they will converge the set, get the dead bugs out of there, polish the mirror, adjust and balance the brightness of the three CRTS, etc. If you do that five times in five years, you'll definitely get your money's worth out of that coverage. Good luck!

6. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is Good Guys??
    SC

7. Binh Vu

Scott, GoodGuys are stores selling all kind of stuffs just like Circuit City, Best Buy.....

Thanks Mark, I'll definately get the 3 years deal then.