What's new

Should I buy Elite VSX-49TX? (1 Viewer)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
How would the Yamaha RX-Z1 v. 49TX compare/contrast? I can get either for nearly the same price, and have a hard time deciding.

"I've never been a Pioneer fan" as stated by two others fits me too, but I'm reading a lot of praise for the Elite. Hard to find anything written about the RX-Z1, but I've liked & owned Yamaha in the past.

I have always liked the Yamaha units but my experiences are from the stereo days. My original receiver was a Pioneer SX1010 - about 75# and far larger than anything sold now. Then came Yamaha with a receiver much larger again, heavier, more powerful - wish I could remember the model as I think it was the largest piece of electronic gear EVER made. That was back in the old days of the late 70s when Yamaha was at the top of it's game.

To get to your point, the RX-Z1 has many wonderful features but lacks some too. It does not offer adjustable frequency settings for the base management - it is fixed at 90hx I think. Not sure if it will do bass management on the 6 channel inputs. The external inputs are a 6 channel instead of 8 channel input - may have no importance now. It is not a THX unit and does not support dual rear surround speakers - just a single rear center - may not be important to you. It DOES have the front effects outputs that some claim really work well. There are many more sound modes that can be used and are supposed to work very well.

I swung towards the Denon initially due to Denon having proven that they will offer upgrades to existing receivers while many manufacturers add a serial port but NEVER actually come out with software or hardware upgrades. The Onkyo 989 is another worth considering again based upon future upgrades. The Pioneer Elite is supposed to come out with the i-Link upgrade in a couple months. I hope this will continue for a year or two and keep it "in the game".

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top receivers but the Yamaha is virtually impossible to get at a discount from an authorized dealer whereas the Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer are heavily discounted. In my mind, it is critical to purchase from an authorized dealer for this type of gear as repairs can be very expensive. Luckily, repairs after the first week or so are extremely rare.
Pete in Louisiana

Chris Tishue

Auditioning
Just wanted to say I also took advantage of this deal from 6ave.com. I had originally gotten them down to $2600 and ordered the receiver thinking it was a great deal from an authorized dealer as it was. When I saw Peter's post about $2425 shipped I immediately called them back this morning and they had no problem matching that price and apologized for not realizing they had sold it for such a low price just 2 days earlier. It is coming tomorrow via UPS 2nd day...can't wait!

Chris

RajeeK

Second Unit
Just wanted to say I also took advantage of this deal from 6ave.com. I had originally gotten them down to $2600 and ordered the receiver thinking it was a great deal from an authorized dealer as it was. When I saw Peter's post about $2425 shipped I immediately called them back this morning and they had no problem matching that price and apologized for not realizing they had sold it for such a low price just 2 days earlier. It is coming tomorrow via UPS 2nd day...can't wait!
Great. Look at all these new 49TXers we are getting. You guys will love em. Were going to have to get our own support group here soon.
;)

RajeeK,
You have no idea how true that is. I downloaded the manual and have been reading it but some things will make more sense when I have the 49tx to play with. I think us newbies will be pestering you pros with questions!
Howard,
Weren't you the one looking at adding an amp versus an Anthem upgrade? Do I understand that you did the amp? If so, what did you purchase and how did it work out? Did you really - really hear a difference?
(See you guys/gals did it - I am already thinking of upgrades :) )
Pete in Louisiana

Chris Tishue

Auditioning
I've had the manual downloaded for like 4 months now. I printed it out double sided at work, hole punched it, and placed it into its very own binder. :D I must have read the darn thing at least 20 times now (good train reading material on the commute home). I love researching stuff. Now I'll have to start the speaker research. Yay! Until I finish that long process I have some older speakers to try out my new baby with this weekend.
Chris

RajeeK

Second Unit
You have no idea how true that is. I downloaded the manual and have been reading it but some things will make more sense when I have the 49tx to play with. I think us newbies will be pestering you pros with questions!
Hey even those of us who have had ours for a while now did the exact same thing. I still have the original manual I printed out befoe I got mine. It is 3 hole punched in a bound folder. There are parts highlighted and underlined that I found important. Ya, I'm nuts. Get this I still only use the manual I printed out so I don't "mess-up" the original manual. (Should I stand now and proclaim I am a 49TX-oholic):b

DonJ

Second Unit
RajeeK
You have one of the nicest theaters out there. I love it. How does the new amp sound.:emoji_thumbsup:

RajeeK

Second Unit
Don,

Thanks for th complement. The amp mated with the 49TX sounds simply wonderful. Now don't get me wrong the 49TX on it's own is spectacular sounding. I got a pretty good deal on the amp, so I decided to take it and kinda have a hybrid separates system. Personally I like have the setup I have over virtually 95% of any separate system out there right not. Sans a few very high end pre/pro's nothing can compare to the features the 49TX has. Now some companies may tout that their pre/pro's are upgradable, but I am not one to sit and wait and wait and wait while the flagship receivers keep getting more and more added to them. Oh wait, am I rambling.....Back to the question, the amp/system is awesome.

John H

Second Unit
I replaced a Parasound AVC-2500 pre/pro with a 49TX a few months back. I used outboard amplification with it from the beginning as I had a Parasound HCA-2205A/HCA-1500 in place.

Recently I decided to see how it's internal amps performed in my system. I removed my Parasound amps and used all 7 internal amp channels.

At this time I am experimenting with passive biamplification on my mains. I use the HCA-1500A on the mid/bass drivers and the 49TX powers the tweeters.

How do you like the supplied remote control?
Shortly after purchase I ordered a 47TX remote to use with mine. I never cared for a 2 handed remote.

I am extremely pleased with 49TX performance. Highly recommended.

John

Lee Daza

Agent
Hehe... Just went a bought one today. This is catching like the flu or something... Got it for $2900 from my local hifi store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks