What's new

Should I buy Elite VSX-49TX? (1 Viewer)

I really wanted to go with separates but nothing is available in my price range - Outlaw not shipping and Rotel backordered like crazy. The Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX can be purchased for $2425 delivered from an authorized Elite dealer and seems to be a fantastic product. I have no way to see or listen to one so I would be ordering blind. My thoughts are that it can be "upgraded" later with the addition of a high powered 2 or 3 channel amp for the front speakers and that this receiver will suffice as a pre/pro for quite some time. I am aware of the soon to come 49TXI but see no need for firewire. I really was leaning toward the Denon 5803 but it costs $3400. My speakers are Audio Concepts Inc. Jaguars, Emeralds and dual Titan II subs.

Are there any quality or performance issues that I should be aware of? How do you like the supplied remote control? Do you know what the component video switching circuitry frequency range is?

For a good laugh, I am UPGRADING from an old pro-logic JVC receiver that has to be about 12-14 years old and was not a good one then (cheap)! Think I will hear an improvement???

Pete in Louisiana

Is there a source for detailed information on this unit? The Pioneer site has some but does not give details on the DACs - how many BurrBrowns, component video frequency, etc. I have read some reviews but they lacked any real details. I have downloaded the manual and I am impressed but just want to be sure.
Thanks. Pete in Louisiana

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
What would be the advantage of the 49TX over purchasing a Denon 3802 for $699 and a quality 5-channel 150 WPC amplifier for $750 at the same time?

In other words, how much are (1) the whizbang features and (2) the internal amplification worth to you?

--Steve

Lee Daza

Agent
Advantages...
Supports DTS 96/24
Dual SHARC 32 bit FP processors (3802 has single SHARC)
24/192 Burr-Brown DACs on all channels (3802 is 24/96)
THX Ultra 2 certified (for those who care)
More A/V,S-video, and component inputs with an internal video converter that can turn composite and S-video into component, allowing use of a single set of high quality component cables to your monitor to handle all video.
Automatic Setup(with supplied microphone) - "It analyzed the frequency range of your speakers, the distances from your listening positions, frequency response of each speaker, and sets everything automatically, including flattening the response via a nine-band equalizer: 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz, 4KHz, 8KHz, and 16KHz. And, as they say in the Ronco (Showtime Grill, Veg-o-Matic) infomercials, 'It really, really works!'." --(Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, Sept2002)
You can route 7.1 analog straight through, OR there is the option to run the inputs through high quality A/D conversion and get the sound-tailoring/bass-management functions of the receiver.(don't think the 3802 has this?)
Those are the differences I can see besides 20W more per channel (though using 3802 as pre/pro negates that I suppose). I am looking at this receiver as well Peter, mainly for the advanced auto setup(I'm lazy, yet change equipment fairly often). There may be more to a reciever than just features, but when the reviewer(Stereophile) says "I've reviewed many fine receivers in the past few years, and most would satisfy my home-theater needs, but Pioneer's Elite VSX-49TX was easily my favorite, sonically and ergonomically.", you have to wonder if it isn't a great piece of hardware afterall...?:emoji_thumbsup:
-Lee

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I'll give you the lowdown on everything (it's gonna get pretty detailed)

Component Freq Resp (THX Ultra2 cert): 5Hz-40MHz +0dB, -3dB, Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 70dB
Burr Brown DAC: PCM1704 192kHz/24-bit specs:
*sampling frequency: 16kHz - 96kHz
*8x Oversampling at 96kHz
*Input Audio Data Word: 20-, 24 bit
*High Performance:
*Dynamic Range: K Grade = 112db typ
*SNR: 120dB
*THD+N: K Grade = 0.0008% typ

VSX-49TX has dual Sharc ADSP21065L 32-bit floating processors and one Motorola DSP56367 24-bit/150MIPS processor.

Sharc ADSP21065L specs:
*198 MFLOPS (32-bit floating-point)
*180 MOPS (32-bit fixed-point)
*16K 32-bit Dual-ported on-chip memory (544 KBits configurable)
*64M x 32-bit word external address space
*12 programmable I/O pins
*10 DMA channels
*Glueless multiprocessing with 2 ADSP-21065Ls

Motorola DSP56367 specs:
*bus interface (bits): 24 program, 24 data
*150 MIPS with a 150 MHz clock at 1.8V core
ROMs for general purpose, Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, MPEG2 and other features available.

The 49TX uses one of the Sharc processors for decoding the signals (Dolby Digital, DTS 96/24, DD-EX, etc) then uses the Motorola to apply post processing (THX, PLII, DTS Neo; 6, etc)and then uses the final Sharc soley for MCACC.

Hope this answers your questions and then some, if you have any further questions let us know.

Daniel Smith

RajeeK

Second Unit
I am out the door right now, so I can't elaborate more. But look in this months Stereophile Review. It has a whole article of the 49TX. And it is a glowing review to say the least. I don't remember his exact words but, basically he states it is easily one of the best (if not the best) receivers he has ever heard.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Peter, I lurked around here for a while trying to decide on the 49tx and when I finally pulled the trigger I was not disappointed;) you will be absolutely blown away upgrading from your old jvc to the 49tx:emoji_thumbsup:
This thread reminds me of a guy Paul Hingenbottom (sp) he to ask the same ? several months back and after lots of replies he too pulled the trigger and was very happy along with many others! do a search on his name if your curious
Bob

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'd say "Do it!" as well. I did, and love my receiver. Nevera big Pioneer fan until now - I was really blown away. Even the SO notices the big sonic difference between it and my old Yamaha 2095. It's a great unit.

David Judah

Screenwriter
How effective have you Elite owners found the MCACC & Air Studios Sound Tuning features to be?

On paper they look very impressive, but I'm wondering if they translate well into real world performance. If they are very effective, the Elite receivers should be worthy of consideration as pre/pros for those of us who already have amps.

The reason I ask is because I have spent some time intensly demoing the Sunfire Theater Grand III and I really like it(I own a Cinema Grand amp), but I also like the idea of the built-in equalization of the Pioneer Elites. On the processing side of things they seem to be fairly equal(Sharcs and Motorola chips on the Pioneers vs. Motorola chips on the Sunfire). I could also use a couple of the receiver's amps for my rear centers and not have to spend more money on a stereo amp to power those two additional rear channels like I would have to do if I bought the Sunfire.

These Elites definitely have me rethinking my Seperates vs. Receivers outlook, so any thoughts you guys might have would be most appreciated.

DJ

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I think the MCACC is _THE_ feature on the 49TX. Pretty easy to compare - listen w/o it, then hand calibrate, then use the MCACC. I think it just kicks butt. I've got a squarish room w/ some quirks and I think it certainly helps create a larger sweet spot and make the experience more enjoyable for more people in the room.

I think you have to hear it to believe it - I don't think I'm overselling it - I am really really impressed by just this one feature.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I've heard virtually no quality issues to speak against the pioneer. by itself it has more than enough power to satisfy and certainly its got enough bells&whistles to keep you going. However....
You've waited a dozen years to move on and I must say I applaud your restraint. I think you've got to spend a little more time thinking about whether you're a separates kind of guy or a receiver one. If its the former then search out something appropriate keeping in mind you do give up a little in that 'all in one' convenience thing. If its the second and you find the features of the 49 are useful and allow for future upgrades you're thinking about then go receiver. the 49 and for that matter the 3802 from denon are both quite capable units. think about where you plan on going with your speakers...5.1, 6.1, etc and buy accordingly.
If you've read enough 'reviews' you'll find that today's hero is yesterdays pretty boy. But that's the way they do it to sell products. You seem like a pretty secure person from the little I've read and I've a feeling you'll make a good, sound choice whichever way you go. The key is understanding just what your needs are and defining the type of person you are to yourself. That's not such an easy thing, so go out into the audio world and play a bit. Find out who you are and then buy accordingly.

Well, I did it. Ordered yesterday evening from 6ave.
My reasoning is this (valid in my mind only ;) ). As I have no separates at all, this gets me up and running with all the premium features and far more amplifier power than my old receiver. It seems to me that the pre-amp features are as good as anything on the market for MY ears. I seriously doubt that I can hear the differences for the additional money in my non-perfect living room. Sure I would like a Lexicon MC-12 but that is way out of my price! Now I can add a "premium" 2 or 3 channel amplifier in the next year or 2 to boost the 2 channel listening or improve the surround sound amp output of the 49TX. It seems according to the reviews that for every amp channel not used, you gain about 10 watts output to the remaining channels so relacing the front 2 or 3 channels will add power to the surrounds if I feel that I need it. Another reason for the receiver is that it fits more easily in my limited space versus having separates even though I need to allow proper ventilation space. I am just tired of waiting for the pre-amps to hit the market. I really wanted more than the Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 950 (and something actually available) but less than the cost of the Anthem and Sunfire. About $2000-2300 would have been perfect but only with updated sound modes. I had considered the Denon 5803 - fantastic but expensive ($3400 vs $2400) and the remote is questionable, and the Yamaha RX-Z1 - wonderful sound modes but it lacks proper bass management and some other features and no one will discount it yet so the Elite is $400 less.
Thank you for all the input. Thanks RajeeK for the heads-up on the recent review.
Pete in Louisiana

David Judah

Screenwriter
Congrats on your purchase, Pete--it sounds like you thought it all out. In fact, you've gone through alot of the same thought processes that I have.
I've always been a seperates advocate and bought a seperate amp with the expectation that I would upgrade to a dedicated pre/pro, but the Elites and some other recent flagship offerings have made me reconsider my audio "world-view" a bit.
You've made your decision, now all I gotta do is make mine. It's fun, isn't it? :)
DJ

RajeeK

Second Unit
Peter,

You will love your new unit. I think you did the smartest thing around. The nice thing about this unit, not only it is so highly regarded around here and in the publications, but as you so astutely stated, you can always add an amp to it, to sweeten things in the future. Good decision. Let us know how you like it once you get it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was not a big Pioneer fan but after listening to the Pioneer Elite 49TX. And seeing how the Elite line has evolved. I have no doubt that you made a good choice Peter. IMHO I think you will be thrilled once you get it pluged in a calibrated:D Let us know how it worked out for you :emoji_thumbsup:

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
The 49Tx is a HUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE improvement over any yesterday's receiver. The 3802 can't even compete. Not even if you add an amp. Realistically the 3802 just doesn't have the chips that the 49tx does. The 49tx is great. With all the Anthem AVM20 talk I began to doubt the capabilities of the 49tx but after hearing the AVM20 and mating my 49tx with the MCA30 amp I realized how good the 49tx really is. It's really featured back and yes I love the auto calibration. You can always add an amp to further clarity and dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks