What's new

Should I buy Denon 4802 now or wait for the Elite 47tx or even 49tx? (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
If I seem to be in a rush it's because I'm getting a real bad case of the upgrade bug. So many things I want to buy and NOW! :)
Like the subject says, should I buy the Denon 4802 receiver now or wait for the Elite 47tx or perhaps 49tx that is scheduled to arrive here in Canada late January? If I buy now I can have it installed for the Christmas break or I can wait two months or so and get the Elite. What should I do? I'm most likely going to audition the 4802 on Thursday and want to know which receiver I'm mostly looking at before I go in. Thanks

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Tough call. For myself, I don't have that much confidence in Pioneer's receivers. Their past efforts have been decent, but not quite the "pedigree" of Denon, Onkyo, or B&K. Not to say that their last line of Elite recievers were poor, but there is a reason why they get discounted so heavily near the end of their run.

I'm very sure that the new 49TX and 47TX are going to be "no holding back" - type receivers. Again, experience comes into play. Reliability is not an issue, but my impression and previous listening experiences on Pioneer receivers have never given me reason to conclude that the Pioneers are giving separates the run for their money.

I would probably go for the Denon even w/out listening to the Pioneer, but that's just for me. To be safe, it's always better to listen to both. (BTW - if the latest Pioneer receivers use the same god-awful touch screen remote, I would definitely go with the Denon)

Elbert

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ya Denon does seem to have a better reputation at least for music. But I've also been hearing a lot of hype about the new Elite receivers since they are really feature packed so I was hoping to get a consensus on this issue.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO..............

Go for the Denon 4802,

or wait for the 5802 or 5803

Pioneer may get it right this time, but not as right as Denon.............

geo

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I would love to have a 5802/3. But I have no idea when it'll arrive and it will probably be out of my price range. So it's most likely between the 4802 and 47tx. The only thing keeping me away from getting hte 4802 now is the thought that people would be recommending the 47tx over the 4802 only a short while after I bought it.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
I would wait and give the Pioneer an audition. I currently own a VSX 39TX and think it is great. The remote for the 47 is the same as the one for the 39 and in my opinion the best touchscreen remote I have used. I went through two Denon 4800 receivers before buying the Pioneer. The both Denons stopped working before 2 weeks were up. I have had the Pioneer for almost a year now and have never had a problem. Anyway I would wait until you can audition both receivers because that is the only way to be totally sure of which one you feel is best. Either way I don't think you can go wrong both sound like great products.

HankM

Second Unit
I would wait also and try out these new Elite's. They say the 4802 is awesome but when spending money like this make sure you get what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks