should i buy an pre owned anthem amp.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dajaga, Sep 8, 2003.

1. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

ok im was planning on buy an already owned anthem amp. if it looks good and all should i buy it. i think they are selling i for about 400$canadian. i dont know what model it is. but i think its 5 years old. and its 5 channels ect.

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Well, do your homework on the listing first.... I am assuming you know the Model # of the Anthem in question.

Buying used stuff is/can be good if you are doing due dilligence/ checking out your seller and sending him emails to make sure he is alive ;*).

Ask him pertinent questions about the product.. read up on the review of the model number. And know that if it is not your cup of tea that your buy price is real close to your future sell price if it sounds like a skunk.

You really have to have the temperment to buy used. If you are not up to the task, then punt.

I buy used... hell, just bought a pre/pro tonight for a good price. I am prepared though... gotta have a contingency plan in place before you buy used.

Good Luck,
    BOK

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

buying used is often the best way to go when it comes to higher end gear. most people aren't gonna abuse their $5000 amp, pre-pro, speakers, etc. from your description, it sounds like you don't even know what you're buying other than the fact that it's a five channel amp. the only anthem five channel amps i can think of are the mca-5, mca-5mkII, and the mca-50. i seriously suggest you figure out which amp it is before you plunk down your hard earned dollar. my entire system consists of used, refurb, or closeout equipment and for the money, i don't think i could have gotten better sound.

aragon soundstage $4000 msrp $1600 used
    aragon palladium ii monos $5000 msrp $2100 used
    aragon 8008x3b $2500 msrp $1200 used
    panamax max2000 $999 msrp $320 refurbed
    pioneer dv-c302d $599 msrp $225 used

not counting my speakers, i've saved $7655 just by buying used and being a patient and dilligent shopper.

kevin t

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Anthem make very highly regarded components. As has been said do some research on the model, you may be getting a sweet piece of equipment.[​IMG]

5. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

If it is five years old or so and a 5-channel amp it must the MCA-5. At $400.00 Cdn, if it is in good working order, I would call it a steal. I have had my MCA-5, for four or five years and it is a very good and dependable performer. I have not had any problems at all. There are many positive reviews on this amp.

Wayne P

6. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Used is the way to go if you can confirm the seller is legit. Period.
    Since I started buying used I have been able to attain a level of equip (within my budget) that would be a distant dream if I were buying new.
    If you have done your research on the product value and the seller is legit then GO FOR IT.

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

The only drawback that I see is that Anthem doesn't honor warranty transfers on used equipment(if they have started recently, I don't know). Although if it is 5 years old, the warranty is probably already over.