Should I buy an HK AVR 525 now or wait for the new line to hit the street?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Pine, Sep 25, 2003.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I recently upgraded my speakers (JBL S-series) and now I've got the "ITCH" to upgrade from my Yami RX-V530 to an AVR-525. I don't see any "can't do without" features on the new line, at my price point anyway. I've found a new 525 can be had for around $600 or less (great deal!). I listen mainly to music (80/20), CD's, DVD-A's and concert DVD's, my setup is only a 5.1. Suggestions?

setup:
    Yamaha RX-V530
    S-310ii's(mains)
    S-36ii's(rears)
    S-Center
    Velodyne CHT-12

2. CodyL

CodyL Extra

Depends on how patient you can be. In about two or three months you should be able to get the 525 for $400 or less if things go as they did last year (do a search for the 520 prices from last winter to see what I am talking about). Of course, the shiny new model will be sitting there right next to it then . . . (those MBA marketing types know what they are doing). However, there may not be as much overstock this year and such discounted closeouts may not be available on the 525. Risk/reward time on price. Delayed gratification on time. Just decide and don't look back.

If your question is aimed at a performance comparison over your current receiver, I apologize for all of the pricing speak.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    CodyL: Thanks for the feedback. Having worked with computer hardware for most of my life the difference in price doesn't bother me as much as difference in "Features". Any input on that point?

4. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy a HK 525?

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Well........I know that One Call has an "Absolutely No Returns!" Policy. Maybe J&R.

6. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely buy from J&R. They have outstanding customer service.

7. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

I got my HK 525 at the perfect time about a week an a half ago. I bought it at hhgregg for $999 + tax. Came back the next day and had them match the Circuit City at $719 with their double the difference price guarantee. Got it for $470 after taxes [​IMG] Can't beat it. They lowered their price the very next day at my local store. (wonder why?) I was just in the right place at the right time i guess.

8. EvanS

EvanS Auditioning

I just got the 525 from OneCall for $600 shipped. True they don't accept "preference" returns but they have a 15 day defect return and if you are a OneCall Pass member it is extended to 30 days. Also they are fully authorized for everything they sell, so there are not manufacturer warranty issues. Not saying J&R isn't authorized...I just don't know.
    But John, I also did not see any features on the new 430 or 630 model that truly caught me...except MAYBE it doesn't have a fan (which would be nice) but that's not an issue for me. Also, thru extensive demos I had already decided on the 525 or 7200, but I missed the

9. John Pine

John Pine
    Derek_OC: Man, I'm soooo jealous! What a deal, congrats!

EvanS: Thanks for the feedback! What is a "One Call Pass Member"? The fan is not an issue for me either as the unit will be in an enclosed TV stand which which has dual exhaust fans already.

10. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

John Pine

Though I've never had to return anything to them, I've been very happy with all my jandr transactions - BUT I bought my 525 from Costco (even though I had to pay shipping and tax).
    The reason: Although they are an unauthorized dealer, if there is ever any reason you are dissatisfied with the product, return it and get all your money back. That's ANY reason.
    Since I'm a Costco member and a big fan, I couldn't be happier.

11. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

12. John Pine

John Pine
    Cooooool, I'm in. Thanks Drew!

13. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

Do you prefer the HK 525 to the Denon 3803?

14. Doug Brewster

As I've said before, I personally prefer the sound of the HK products for 2-channel sound. If there is a $200 to $300 price difference, I'd take the 3803. It has superior surround and video processing and Denon tends to do a better (though not perfect) job of quality control.

15. John Pine

John Pine
    I thought the new HK line wasn't due in till the Spring of next year?! I just saw the new AVR-230 "In Stock", on the One Call site for $499. Anybody know when the replacement unit for the 525 will be available? Somebody clue me in!

Doug: Thanks for the feedback! I am a Sam's Club member, not a Costco. Costco got a late start in the Atlanta area. But, I have heard some good things about them.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

17. Doug Brewster

"I am a Sam's Club member, not a Costco."

I belong to both :b and they both have strengths and weaknesses, but I buy almost everything at one or the other.[​IMG]...when possible. It's a little hard to find good home theater stuff there so I was happy to see they are carrying the 325 and 525 on their website.

18. John Pine

John Pine
    So will the 430 be the replacement for the 525?

19. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Having a fan on the back of this receiver is a huge plus/bonus in my book. I have only experienced it coming on when I was driving five channels in the full-range five speaker stereo mode. I have inefficient planar speakers so this amp gets pushed hard. When the fan is on I don't hear it due to the high music volume. The only way to tell if it's running is to 1) put your face near it, 2) mute the output or drop the signal level quickly. The fan noise is almost inaudible and switches off quickly when there's no severe load.

All receivers/amps that generate lots of watts also generate lots of heat. HK has given me some piece of mind with their use of a built-in fan. All of my pro-sound system amps have had one. Any one with an enclosed rack needs to carefully vent amplifiers. All this being said, I've really only noticed the fan running twice; both times were during very loud, full range, 5 speaker stereo playback- not movies or regular stereo (2 ch.).

I have found this receiver to be very solid so far and have not found any flaws in its performance....yet. Ask me again in six months and we'll find out how the build quality really is!

P.S. I've only had it on for 10-15 hours of critical listening, but I like what I'm hearing.