What's new

Should I Buy A Smaller Velodyne Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

I just upgraded from an entry lever HT system, so my expertise with all this is pretty limited. I bought a sound system with Polk RTi70s (L/R front), Polk CSi40 (center), RTi38 (L/R surround) with a Onkyo 600 receiver for a 14'x14' room that opens to several other rooms (center of apartment). I bought a Velodyne 12" for this system, but now I'm wondering if I over did things with the subwoofer. When I turn it up only about 20% - 25%, it starts to overwhelm the other speakers and the room. I have to keep it below that level most of the time. Is there any drawback to returning it and getting the 10" sub? Will I loose some defination of sound with the smaller sub? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Have you tried calibrating your system? Do that first.

Not much draw back to getting the 10" if it's enough oomph for you and your room.

dajaga

Stunt Coordinator
if i were you id keep it. and just keep the ub at low levels. because if sooner or later you move in to a house with 30x30 living room you might be kicking your self hard

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I took the CHT-12 back to Circus City and I miss it dearly. Just wanted to do the 30-day demo with a decent subwoofer to see what I was missing. Saw parts of LOTR 2 last night and could not feel any of the bass with my old and under-powered 130-W Yamaha subwoofer :frowning:

If you can afford it and have space for it, then I'd say keep that 12-incher. I'm waiting for my Rocket UFW-10 to come in....whenever that might be.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Joel,
Maybe the sub db level is set too high in the receiver so you have to correct it by setting the level so low on the sub. another thing you might try is changing the location of the sub. Most people move their subs all around the room to find the spot that gives the most output but in your case maybe you can find a spot that makes the sub less overwhelming.
If you cant get it so you like it then maybe pickup the 10" sub to see how it sounds. If its better then return the 12" and if its not any better return the 10". In that case you should probably look into different brands. Maybe the velodyne is just too boomy for your liking. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks