Should I buy a separate DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Blacklow, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I've been reading up on a lot of HT stuff here and was wondering if perhaps there is good enough reason to get a separate DVD player, rather than using my PS2. I got it because it played games, DVDs, and CDs, but I know it's not a good DVD player (moderate maybe, but not good).
    The question is, does it matter enough? My 32" TV (Sony KV-32FS13) can't do progressive, but it does have 16:9 Enhancement for anamorphic DVDs. I just bought it extremely cheap, so I won't be getting another TV for a while, unless I get rich [​IMG]. My receiver (HK AVR320) has both digital and 6- and 8-channel direct input (for stuff like DVD-A). Like the TV, got it cheap, won't be upgrading soon.
    If it does make enough of a difference, what's a good DVD player for less than $250? A lot of people really like the Panasonic RP82, but I don't know if it's more than I really need.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That kind of answers your own question, doesn't it? A dedicated, stand-alone DVD player will offer better performance and a much broader feature set, all dedicated to home theater. Besides, many members have reported numerous problems while using their PS2s for DVD playback in addition to gaming. Your situation should be considered interim, stopgap.

3. David Hicks

David Hicks Stunt Coordinator

I tried using my Xbox for dvd's....once.

Check out the latest DVD,ETC. magazine. They reviewed a very inexpensive Samsung and thought pretty highly of it. Also, keep an eye on the Hardware For Sale forum. There was a progressive scan Panasonic for $110 a few days ago.

Good luck!

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I use my PS2 as a dvd player, but to be honest im not going to buy a standalone until i can get a good one. personally im thinking a universal player would be a nice upgrade.

In my opinion its not worth buyign a standalone player unless you get a good one. the PS2 will do most of the basic functions although i find ti a pain to ahve to stop a movie and manually change to 16x9 mode separately fromt he set up, but i can live with that for the cost.