1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Buy a RPTV Knowing I'll be Moving at Least Twice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Brunet, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Michael Brunet

Hello all -

I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade from an old 27" Sharp TV to a 53" Panasonic, but first I wanted to get people's opinions on whether I should be reluctant to buy knowing that I'll be moving in the near future.
    My situation: I am now a graduate student, will be moving in two years for my first job, then likely making another move five years later (possibly cross-country) to a permanent job.
    My brain tells me that I *should* wait on such a nice (and expensive) TV until I settle down somewhere permanently, but that will likely be 7-10 years from now, and frankly, I don't want to wait that long.
    Long story short - how sensitive are RPTVs? I obviously will keep the original packaging, and place the set carefully in any moving van that I am driving.
    What would you do?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I know that this seems somewhat anal - thinking this far ahead - but if I'm going to shell out $2K, I want my TV to last for a while....

2. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

Michael -
    I've moved mine, 55" Toshiba, once, 300Km or 160 miles from Edmonton to Calgary, and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I just wrapped it up with plenty of packing blankets and cardboard corners and then loaded it in the corner of the moving van with the screen facing the wall (wouldn't back anything to bang the screen if something should fall). I was extremly nervous about it since I had only had the set for six months but everything turned out fine. I'd suggest having two or three friends to help if you have to move it up or down stairs though.

3. LanceM

LanceM Auditioning

im sorry this just reminded me of something (im in college too). my fiance and I have a 60" hitachi and i was reminded of how she and I carried it down the stairs at our old house, well it was more like a controlled bounce down the stairs. We've moved it in a trailer to another city, then up the stairs, then down, across town, in a garage for 6 mo, then to another apt, and finally we are moving it to another house. 2 yrs from now we will be moving again...

the tv has the older POTs for convergence and is a bit bigger than what you want. I imagine that with digital controls and the fact it is a better tv you should be perfectly fine, especially if you are confortable tweaking it. the key like has been stated is moving it smoothly and carefully and packing it well. Try to keep the original packing material if you have the space, that helps a bunch. I keep the packing from every electronic i buy.

Whenever I look at spending money on something used for recreation, I look at it as an investment. if you get a tv now or later, you will end up paying 2k either way; it is just a question of when. but the sooner you do get it, the more enjoyment you will get out of it overall. 7-10 yrs from now the tv will be about ready to retire having given you much enjoyment, you will be settled down with hopefully more money to spend on a full blown HT.

Long answer short: if it were me and I had enough to get the tv I wanted (i didnt feel like i was compromising) i would do it for sure. if you are careful at most all they would need is a touch up, depending on how picky you are.

4. Pedrito

Pedrito Auditioning

I am in the same boat, moving to an apartment while my new house is being build. I don't see a problem moving a RPTV if you are careful. When the time comes to move my RPTV to my new house, I will either do it myself, or hire a professional mover to do the work. Will make that determination when the time comes. At the moment this will be in about 5-6 months from now.

Pedro

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

RPTVs can be moved without many problems... moving them is tougher on you than it is on them. If you keep the box (as you said you would), moving any RPTV is OK... it made it the 10,000 miles from Japan (or more likely, the 1500 miles from Mexico) to your house in that box, so another few miles in there won't cause any damage. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just be EXTRA careful with the screen... this is the part which is most often damaged when moving RPTVs. Ideally, you should cover the entire front of the TV with some blankets and tape or strap them on there, just to make sure that if you brush up against a doorframe or something, the screen doesn't get scratched.

6. Michael Brunet

Thank you all very much for the reassurances. I'll be purchasing the TV next Wednesday, and hopefully be happy as a pig in slop two weeks from then.

7. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

Here is a vote for a Front Projector....Based on current pricing - you can get a very good one for under $2000.00 and they are 6 lbs - very easy to move [​IMG]
    Coupled with a pull down screen - they move well, in any compact car and provide a stunning picture....Now that bulb life is over 2000 hours on most entry level models (and 5k hours with the AE100) you can effectively watch every day TV in a light controlled room.....Just keep the 27" inch around when watching in daylight conditions [​IMG]
    Well, its a thought anyways - if you are knowing you will move - seems like a very good compromise...

8. Michael Brunet

Dave,

The projector option certainly is tempting, but a little more complicated than I'm looking to deal with right now. My girlfriend is *barely* o.k. with the RPTV, and I think a projector and screen might cause more trouble than it's worth (until I'm in a nicer house with a real salary, that is : )
    But rest assured that when I have a good space and can afford a nice setup, I'll be moving away from CRTs and onto beautiful digitally-presented imaging. It's funny how HT can so fully invade one's thoughts of the future....

Mike

9. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

I went with the front projector route just BECAUSE of the wife. Having a 200lb ugly plastic box in the living room doesn't compare with a 6lb AE100 that can be moved onto the coffee table projecting an 80 16x9 inch picture each time.

Go and buy your set and just pack it carefully each time. Should be ok.