What's new

should i buy a power center? (1 Viewer)

philip.graham

Auditioning
i have a panny plasma and an htib yamaha and a cable box.

do i need one of these, like the one by monster?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
A salesman will conjure up all sorts of reasons why not only do you need one, but how spending lots of extra money buys you amazing improvements in audio, video, and your sex life. If I could guarantee the last I could retire. Let's look at them.

Perhaps one of the most useful aspect of a power center, those that sit on a rack, is the feature set you get that some find very useful. Among these conveniences are...

switched/unswitched outlets
sequenced turn on and turn off
one touch operation for your entire system
a fair amount of outlets so you can plug all your equipment into it as well as your cable feeds

Maybe I missed a couple. Virtually all of these units offer some degree of surge suppression and EMI/RFI filtration and they play around a bit with how this is implemented. Because there is no standardization regarding EMI/RFI filtration specs, its very difficult to make comparisons between brands but even 40dB reduction is a 99% reduction in noise and that's fairly substantial.

If you don't need those conveniences, then maybe your needs are more cost effectively served by a plug in surge protection device like various Belkins, TrippLites, Panamax, Stratitecetc. which you can get for well under $100.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I bought a Monster Power gold bar filter with the 8
ac plugs, 4 of which are controlled by a switch.

I had my big screen & HK 7200 plugged in & blew the freakin thing when I cranked up the HK!!

Maybe it was just an anomally (sp), but I exchanged it yesterday & have not plugged the new one in.

It is supposed to be able to handle 1800watts draw on it, &
offers 2775 joules protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks