What's new

should I buy a power amp? (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys could help me with a problem that I'm having. Well about a year ago (before I heard about this place) I bought my first surround sound receiver its a Sherwood RD-7103 DD DTS receiver and it has worked really good for me for movies but it is really lacking for music. I was going to just save up and buy a new A/V receiver maybe a onkyo or H/K that would sound better for music. but then I got thinking since the Sherwood sounds great for movies why don't I just get a power amp maybe 100 watt x2 for music and use the Sherwood for when I watch movies. Do you think the power amp route is a good idea or not. My speakers are Paradigm Titans and a soon to be 230L sealed tempest, I would like to use these speakers if that's possible. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

P.S. I would not mind buying a used power amp and my price range is about $300

JohanK

Second Unit
Does the Sherwood have preouts? If so, even w/ 'small' speakers, I think a power amp would make a nice addition.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Unfortunately the amp does not have preouts :frowning:. If I do get a power amp what kind would you suggest? I'm looking at one on the parts express web site....
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15991&DID=7
Does anyone have one of these or know if they're any good. By the way the titans are 6 ohm speakers and their max power input is 100 watts so I think I should be fine power wise with this. I'm still trying to find out if it's the amp that sounds bad for music of the DVD player or my room acoustics. My room is 11' x 14' and all the walls are flat drywall with nothing on them. I also have one big window on the back wall with to big closet doors on the opposite wall, I think this might be why my music sounds bad what do you think?
Ryan

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
What is your wire gauge? If yougo to 12G this may tighten things up as well as reveal detail you hadn't heard before. Could be a cheap upgrade.

Kevin

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Ryan

Differences in the sound of amps are relatively small.

In order to help you decide on what will make your stereo listening better it would help if you try to describe what it is that is lacking with your Sherwood. For example, is the bass lacking? Is the sound too bright? Poor imaging?

Also, it is important not to change more than one thing in your system at a time. For example, changing speakers and receiver at the same time. If you change more than one thing at the same time you won't know which change made what difference.

Please try to describe what is lacking in stereo listening.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I'm not to sure if I can explain what it is that's lacking I just think music sounds a bit thin if that makes any sense. I think my room acoustics is a big part of the problem, I moved my amp and speakers into my finished basement for a test, I used the same CD player, speaker wire, amp and everything I just changed the room and there was a huge difference. My basement back wall opens into another room and the right wall opens into the office. There is a bunch of furniture down there two. I think the main differences between my room and the basement is that the basement is not as "lively" as my room the sound is almost boomy. I'm currently using a DVD player for music that might also contribute to the problem. I've been wanting to get the bigger Paradigm Phantoms for the mains and move the Titans in the rear. I read that the Mini-Monitors are better for music because of the bigger tweeter and the cabinet is supposed to be braced since there the same price as the Phantoms I might look into that if i can't find a better sulotion. My speaker wire is 12 gauge so I don't think that that is the problem. When I get a new DVD player I defiantly want to look into DVD audio or SACD, I heard apex is coming out with a hybrid player that might be in my price range. Any more suggestions would be welcome.

Ryan

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Ryan

It would seem that you have identified the main problem: your listening room. Instead of buying new electronics or speakers right now, you may want to look into room treatments. These range from rugs to wall hangings to stuffed furniture, to specially designed "traps". Another treatment that makes sense to me is to put up sound absorbent treatment on the wall behind the listening position. This could be similar to (acoustic) ceiling panels.

I think the idea would be to try the least expensive types of treatments first and work your way up to more expensive treatments only if you are still unhappy.

I could not tell from your response if the sound is lacking in bass "thin", or too much bass "boomy", or some combination.

A difficult room will not be very easily overcome. But if you do some research on room treatments you will learn things that will serve you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks