Should I buy a Panasonic RP-62

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andre Bijelic, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Samsung HD931 player which is defective - it wrks fine for about half an hour, then it just dies and has to be unplugged and restarted.

I noticed that the store I bought it from is still selling the Panasonic RP-62. I've heard that the older Panasonic models are superior to the new ones. Should I just exchange the Samsung for the Panasonic?

2. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Andre, I wouldn't if you looking to do a test then I would get a Onkyo SP301. I have had a panny RP62 for about a year and a half now and it has the Faroudja chip in it. I did a shootout with the RP-62, Pioneer 563 and the Onkyo 301. and to my suprise the Onkyo beat all of them in sound and picture quality. So I am using it now as my main player on my Panasonic 47 inch HDTV and the Panny RP62 is in my second bedroom now.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

There are two different designs for the Panasonic RP62. The ones with an "A" serial number have the excellent Faroudja de-interlacer but those with a "B" serial number do not have Faroudja and are poor quality.

4. MattWel

MattWel Stunt Coordinator

I see, Don. I have a RP62 that has an A in the serial number and no B, so mine should have it, right? Also the Manufacture Date is April, 2002. I have read that they didn't start using the cheaper chip until around Oct. or Nov.

5. Don_Berg

Yes your RP62 is most likely a Faroudja given that information. Congratulations!

6. MattWel

Thanks, Don. Given the fact that my RP62 most likely has a Faroudja should I just go with it for now? I guess what I'm asking is would it be worth the $200-300 to get a used or refurbished XP30, XP50, or RP82? I know those players are of higher quality than my RP62 but would the picture quality be so much better with those that I should upgrade? I only paid $90 for my RP62 at Circuit City and actually consider myself lucky to have it. Also, does anyone know how to check for the number of laser hours on the RP62?

7. Mike Littrell

Have you thought about the Denon 910? It has DCDi

8. MattWel

Yes, I have thought about the 910. Right now I am happy with the picture quality with my RP62 but I know it won't last forever. I have heard about some of the problems common with this model. When it comes time for me to get a new player would it make more sense to buy a used/refurb Panasonic XP30,50,RP82, a used/refurb Denon 1600, or a brand new 910 or Mitsubishi 8040? I really can't spend over $300.

9. Don_Berg

I tried the DVD-910 and the Mitsubishi DD-8040 and they are OK but have a softer picture than the best models like the XP30,XP50,RP82. So when I mananaged to win a bid on EBAY for a lightly-used XP30 for $250 I grabbed it. If you can manage to find a good condition XP30 or XP50 under $300 I'd recommend you grab one too. I've seen reports of failures for the RP62,RP82,DVD-1600 but not the other models.

10. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I ended up getting one - the serial number was an "A", the date of manufature was August, 2002 and it was only $140CDN.

Looks good so far, better than my Pioneer 563, but I have a question. The player has different modes (Auto 1, Auto 2 etc.) for different kind of film transfers. I was under the impression that the Faroujda de-interlacer switched everythong on the fly, without having to manually force the player into different modes. Or is that not the case?

11. MattWel

So Don is there anything wrong with getting a reburbished/reconditioned XP30? Is there a certain number of hours on the laser that I shouldn't go over if I'm looking at used ones? Anways Andre, I read a review of the RP62 on another site and it said that the Auto 1 mode does it all on the fly and that it is the preferred mode. The site also said that strangley enough if you select Video mode it will disable DCDI. The site also said that the XP30 and the RP82 also had these three different modes.