should I buy a Panasonic PT-47WX53 ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PeterN, Sep 29, 2003.

1. PeterN

PeterN Stunt Coordinator

I'm in desparate need of a new TV, but I don't have a huge budget. I was thinking about picking up one of these from BestBuy for the following reasons:

1. No interest for 24 months.
    2. I already have a account there.
    3. A couple gift cards I could use to help with the total.

My question is, is this the best unit there for under $1500? I've had a Panasonic RPTV that is over 15 years old and is just now starting to show some age. I mainly watch SD but will likely go HD very soon. Can anybody give me andy pro's/con's with this unit?

Thanks!

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Peter,
    I've had the PT-47WX53 for a month, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure there are other televisions in this size-price range that look better out of the box, but tweaking with an Avia DVD(or Video Essentials) and doing the nine point convergence makes the set look very good. There are quite a few threads on this set, and its bigger brother, the PT-53WX53. Do a search, there is lots of good info in those threads.

3. PeterN

PeterN Stunt Coordinator

Larry, thanks for the response. I know the tv could use some tweaking outta the box.

How was the HD picture quality look?

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

5. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Peter

The HDTV material that I have seen thru my local cable company is outstanding! BUT, I am rather new at this too. I had the 47wx53 for about 2 weeks before my cable company hooked up the HDTV and for a week I only watched HDTV channels. We only have 6 here, but I watching PBS and DISCOVERY theater for hours at time with my jaw on the floor! I can't really compare it to any other hdtv on the market, but I know that the guy at Best Buy said that it is the hottest seller and I have not been disappointed! Lets put it this way, with some minor tweaking I guarantee that my HDTV channels look better than any RPTV display models at Best Buy, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic you name it. To me the tv's in the 1500-2000 range all pretty much looked the same to me.

Andy

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

HD materials looks outstand, period [​IMG] If you can get Showtime/HBO in HD, get it. Watching sports, like Monday Night Football is jaw dropping. Your TV will get it true value if you get a HD feed.

7. PeterN

PeterN Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply guys. I figured that it was a decent set for the price.

Are these sets prone to that "evil pop" i've been hearing about?

8. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Here's a question: I've got the PT47WX53 (maybe I have the PT53, either way), and I have to say that I've been a little underwhelmed by the picture, compared to my old Hitachi 4x3 HD set, even when running HiDef material through it. It's very....grainy looking. I've not run any sort of tweaking program, other than a THX Optimode thing.

I thought it was the cheap DVD player I was using, until I saw HD on it, which suffered from some of the same background grain. I turned sharpness all the way down, and then turned it all the way up, and it didn't effect it.

Would DVE make that much of a difference? Are the convergence tests easy enough that someone without prior experience could succsefully run them? Same with the Service Menu? I've gone into my service menu, but then backed out when I realized I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Would a disc like DVE (I know it's got problems with the audio tests, but I want it for the video only) help a noob like me?

9. PeterN

PeterN Stunt Coordinator

IKE, good question! I'm also curious to know if these calibration DVD's help out that much?

10. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Yes these calibration DVDs make a really big difference.... I got rid of a lot of the background 'dot crawl' after running DVE on my toshiba 51h83.
    Their is still some of that crap in the background, but as far as I know that is attributed to SVM that will be disconnected when I get my set professionally calibrated in Feb.

11. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Pannys have been excellent performers for the past three years now. They may not be that great out of the box, but after a proper calibration/tweak session, they pretty much stack up to anything else out there ... all things being calibrated.

The units have been coming OOTB better and better over the past few years.

Regards

12. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

So, what would my "dot crawl" likely be? And would I be able, with no prior experience, to tweak things in the Service Menu? Do they properly explain what you're doing, and what you're supposed to be doing it to?

I'm off to get one of those discs, I think.

13. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I love my Panny 47WX49. Same set, I think, except without the digital convergence and perhaps a few other minor features.

I disabled the SVM, had Gregg Loewen in for a comprehensive calibration and do the 9-point convergence about once a month, and couldn't be happier with the picture. As others have stated, Discovery is jawdropping for its clarity, realism and depth and, short of being on the sideline, you can't fully understand the speed and violence of pro football until you see it in 16x9 hi-def.

I can heartily recommend this unit.

14. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend this set as well. I have the 47" panny and am really happy with it. I did some tweaks as outlined on panny.tv to make the picture look very sharp. I will be getting the Dish Network 6000u HD receiver in a couple of days, and I am really looking forward to it.

15. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I just ordered a 47wx53 from Circuit City in Albany ($1,198!), and I had a couple of questions. First, will I be able to disable SVM myself? Also, if someone who owns one could measure the width of the top edge and let me know how wide it is, that would be great. Thank you.

P.S.: Feel free to reassure me that I made a good decision.:b

16. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

The 47WX49 wa my frist WS HDTV set. It's been a performer for sure, on the showroom floor and OOTB it looked like crap. A few VE, Avia, Lion AV calibrations and it was able to really shine. For the money it's been a great set, can't wait to upgrade it though [​IMG]

17. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

**Post Deleted**

18. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Any word on the brand new PT-47x54. Brand new design and it looks really nice. Picture quality wise I can't say as it was on a large showroom with no calibration at all. But the cabinet looks outstanding IMO. It also has a center channel shelf rated to hold large center channel speakers. I thought this was a huge plus.

I'm waiting for the word from the professional calibrators who have worked on this set to find out if they are as good as previous years.

Couldn't find it on panasonic's site but did find it on onecall:

http://www.onecall.com/PID_22655.htm

19. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i have the 53" version. it is outstanding on HD feeds! truly amazing. it looks like you are looking through a window and the real world is on the other side! (why those guys are playing football in my front yard i dont know.) typical issues with watching SD blown up to 53", but thats not the TVs fault.

buy it!

ag.