Should I buy a new DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Keith_R, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I'm currently using a Toshiba 2150 DVD player in my HT. This DVD player has been my one and only player since 2 or 3 years ago when it became my first DVD player. I really enjoy it and think that it is a great DVD player but lately I think it is showing it's age a tad. I've noticed lately that layer changes are more noticeable and take about 1/2 to 1 second longer than they used to and that my player exhibits a glitch up on one of my newer discs that no one else's player seems to have problem with.

Should I be concerned at this point? would a newer DVD player be a good investment for me? thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

A higher end player is never a bad idea.

I'm probably going to buy one this month too, and there is nothing at all wrong with my old one.

I mean, you always want to make sure your getting the most you can out of your HT. IMHO anyways.

3. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I'm looking into upgrading as well.

But is now a good time to do it? My point is is there something thats slated to come out in the next year that will make the DVD player I buy today obsolete? Well maybe not obsolete, but I hate it when I spend good money on something then 6 months later I can buy something better for the same price (This happenes quite a bit in the technology world).

My main concern is the DVD format change that will be happeneing at some point. Is this years off, or just around the corner (Before the end of this year, 2004)

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

my current player is nothing high end (it costed me $200 at the time). In fact if I were to buy something new today it would probably be around the same price or a little more as my current player. My HT is on the lower end of the scale so I don't need a fancy do everything player. I do want something with similar capabilities to my 2150 including a changer, zoom etcetera. Maybe something with some of the newer features built in it as well.

5. John S

John S Producer

Faroudja has been current and very cutting edge for quite a few years now. I don't see anything on the near horizon to outdate it, or at leats that could outdate it badly.

Remeber these chipsets were only in $15K products just a few years ago.

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Eh - I think DVDs are already pretty much high-def - or at least high def enough for our current tech of tvs. I wouldn't forsee a change until AT LEAST a few years after HDTV has gone mainstream. (past 2006 conversion date)

7. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Now is not a bad time to upgrade at all. A lot of the new players include one or both hi-rez music formats. SACD & DVD-A are becoming more popular with the release of players like the Pioneer 563a which is a great cost effective way to get a player that can do it all.

Until High def DVDs come out I think the universal players are gonna rule the market over the next few years.

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I went looking yesterday at both Bestbuy and Circuit City and didn't particularly see anything that made me raise my brow.

Alot of the players I saw which were in my price range ($200-$300) were cheap players that didn't appeal to me as much as my current older player. I instead bought myself a bunch of DVDs to play on my current player but I am still keeping my eyes peeled for a good high quality upgrade player.

Do any of you have suggestions for for a good high quality player in the $200-$300 range. The high rez music formats would be a plus, and I'd definently want a changer. The player must be able to do DTS as well as Dolby Digital. Any suggestions? thanks.

9. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Those stores don't carry the top-rated players, just cheaper lower quality models. At Tweeter and Good Guys stores you will find the higher quality models from Denon, Mitsubishi, and others.