Should I buy a Mitsubishi WS-65413 or WS-65511?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian Simmons, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons Auditioning

I apologize for asking what may be a dumb question. I will admit I am new to this. The prices I am looking at are about $2700 for a Mitsubishi Silver Plus WS-65413 or last years Mitsubishi Platinum WS-65511 for $2300. I am told this years model of the Silver Plus has updated Projectors, net command 3 (which I don't care about) and probably some other features that last years model doesnt have. I like the physical tv case on the platinum much better, but the overall quality of the picture is most important to me. I don't believe the Platinum has DVI inputs either. Which I don't even know what DVI is used for, I just know its something people recommend to look for. Cost is not a problem to me, but if I can save some money and still have a nice TV it would be fine with me. Anyway if some of you people could give me what you recommend buying and maybe a reason why I would greatly appreciate it. When I am on a forum relating to something I am more familiar with I definitely help people out. In this case I am just completely clueless. I know nothing about Rear Projection TV's and half of the features/options to look for. Thanks in advance!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The 65511 has a built in ATSC tuner for OTA HD while the 65413 doesn't. This did not matter to me since I went with DirecTV as my HD programming source and all of their recievers have ATSC tuners built in.

The 65413 has DVI which is good for the newer STB's and will be needed if/when programmers throw the copy protection flag. It also has individual color adjustments for both component and composite/S-video inputs. The 65511 can only adjust the inividual colors for the composite/S-video inputs. I have a red push on my component inputs (55411) until I either get a pro calibration or get brave enough to mess with the service menu.

-Robert

3. Bruce McDermott

The 413 has Quad Field focus. If you are going to get the set ISF'd/calibrated, that system gets better corner focus, according to Mits calibrators I've talked to.

For the same or similar dough, I'd get the 413, because I don't need a built-in HD tuner. You might.

4. Brian Simmons

Thanks for the info so far guys. The quadfield focus did catch my attention, but I was wondering if the extra $400 was worth it. I'm not worried about a HD tuner. My cable provider suplies that. So I'm just trying to figure out if the extra $400 is worth the quad field focus, DVI input and I'm not quite sure the older Platinum has the 64 point covergence setup either. I'm trying to research it the best I can. I've been told to look into the Pioneer Elite line of TV's. So I might look into that as well. Always good to have multiple options. Thanks again!

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'm sure the Pioneers are great. I went with Mitsubishi because of the all of the tweaking knoweldge that's on the 'net. The Mitsu forum over at the Spot is loaded with tips and tricks to get the last bit of performance out of your TV.

-Robert

6. Brian Simmons

Thanks Robert, I agree with your comment that if the 411 has that feature, the 511 should. I just didn't know if any of those had it. Could you give me a link to that forum you are referring to? Thanks again!

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi

I really like the x11 Mits.

The 411 requires the I2C EEPROM reprogramming to correct the red push. The 511 and higher 11's have the color decoder settings in the service menu.

All the 11 and 13s have 64 point convergence systems. Quad field focus is pretty much a marketing gimmic.

Hope this helped.

Gregg

8. Brian Simmons

Nice point about the quad field focus. That's like Mitsubishi would be saying that all of the previous tv's look like crap in the corners. I guess what it really comes down to is do I need DVI? I'm also wondering if the new projectors in the Silver Plus are better than the ones in the last years Platinum model? I do know they are newer, just not sure they produce a better picture.

9. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Like I said, I like the X11s.

Regards

10. Bruce McDermott

Interesting. Craig Miller doesn't seem to agree re Quad Field focus. Not sure that convergence grids compensate for that.

11. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Quad field focus and convergence grids are totally seperate items / features. But if you were a calibrator you'd know that :)

12. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

I'm in a similar boat. I debating betweent the 55413 and the 55313 and the only major difference I see is the Quad field focus. What's the difference? Will I notice it?

13. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    your question has already been answered :)

14. Bruce McDermott

Gregg--

I'm not a calibrator, and yet I still know that. I was responding to your statement:

"All the 11s and 13s have 64 point convergence. Quad Field focus is pretty much a marketing gimmic (sic)".

Sounded to me like you were saying that the first made the second unnecessary.

In any event, there is apparently a disagreement among calibrators as to the utility of quad field focus. No offense, but on Mits sets Craig is my source.

15. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Convergence will not compensate for poor focus uniformity.

I dont think there is any disagreement among calibrators in relation to quad field focus.

Regards