Should I buy a HDTV or projecter. Big Purchase need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, May 15, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Well I'm now torn between getting a 65" HDTV or a projector with a 100" screen. I have 5k to spend and I'm leaning more toward projection. Here's the thing...I am using this viewing device for DVD's only. It will be in a home theater room that is 30X20. Can a projector look as good as a HDTV. I've never seen one in action. Demos of projectors are a little bit more rare then going to your local Best Buy to see that Tosh65. My main concern is picture quality and if a 65 yields a better picture then I will go with that. The room is completely dark no windows if that helps.

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

MY friend, projectors almost always look better than a 'TV'! Seriously, these (CRT) projectors were made to industrial spec, and looks don't matter there. Just the picture quality does.
    Any 7" CRT PJ will give you HDTV, with 8 inchers stretching to 1080p even.
    Just check out someone's well set up CRT PJ, and tell me if you aren't blown away - i'll personally point you to the nearest Best Buy! [​IMG]
    I also used to be wowed by big TV's, but in the end, that's what they are: TV's. Furniture.
    If you have a 5k budget, i'm sure you can do everything within 4 000 and have the rest for the best quality DVD's. [​IMG]
    Do you need recommendations for PJ's etc?

3. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just love that response and it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to make the projector jump and would like to know which projector I can get along with the screen for around 5k I would like a pretty big 16:9 screen around 100". You guys on this forum are great. I've learned far more then I ever could picking up consumer reports or researching this at the library. Thank god for the Internet.

4. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Check out www.avsforum.com they are the projector experts. They will point you towards a used barco or perhaps a new sharp. Depends on if you are looking for a CRT or an LCD. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.