should I buy a different DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by chris*b, Dec 22, 2003.

1. chris*b

chris*b Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. This is my first post. I am the proud owner of a new Panny 56wx53. I bought it for $1599 at Fry's Friday night, and also bought a floor model Phillips DVD Q50. I knew it was a bit of an older model but it does have the Faroudja deinterlacer in it, and it was only $99 so I got it. My question is, will something like the Mits DD8040 look better on my new TV than the Q50? The Q50 looks awesome to me, but I have no point of reference really. If it will make an appreciable difference, I will get something else, and return the Q50.

TIA.

2. John S

John S Producer

You got a Q50 for $99!!!!! Hmm, sell it to me for $125, and get a different one... lol

3. chris*b

Yeah I thought it was a decent deal. Like I said, it looks great to me. I noticed on one of the shootouts that it did rather poorly, and that is what got me thinking about it. I watched Finding Nemo and T3 yesterday, and it was awesome. This is compared to my 36" Tosh I replaced. So like I said, not much of a comparison. I did notice some pixelating in darker scenes sometimes. Is this just normal for viewing a DVD on such a large screen?

I am only sitting about 5' from the TV.[​IMG] I plan to knock out a wall, and take over the dining room to make a theater soon. The wife doesn't know about those asperations yet though. Maybe I can just turn up the brightness when she is watching, and make her think we have to do it so it doesn't hurt our eyes. :wink:

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmm Pixelation huh in darker scenes???

Was this on finding nemo? or T3? or both?

Nemo has some off stuff going on, from its transfer, and HDTV's seem to really magnify them.

Now T3, I got the full frame version (widescreen) and it is really something. I sure don't notice anything odd on it at all.

But then again, your sitting dang close, I am much further away, I have a 60"..

And your sure your set for progressive scan on it too?

5. chris*b

As far as I can tell. It didn't come with a manual, so I don't know if it is turned on or not. It looked like shading layers in Nemo. The detail was real small. It wasn't like big blocks or anything. I don't remember if I saw anything like that in T3 or not.

The graphics on the football game were pretty funny at times though. I could see the blocks that made up the player's faces on their pictures. I can't wait to get a 811 from Dish so I can see some HD stuff. They told me to call back Jan. 5th today.[​IMG]

6. chris*b

I was looking through the menu yesterday for the player. It has a whole bunch of settings. One of them was labeled DCDI. It has a yes or no option? Is this what makes the player run in 480p? Will turning it off make my TV run it's deinterlacer, or does it run it either way? This stuff is a bit confusing to me, but I am trying to figure it all out. Thanks for any help you can provide.

7. John S

John S Producer

Can you find the product manual online? I don't have that DVD player, or that TV....

The way I have mine setup, the more 480p and higher stuff the way better for switching simplicity.

I do think the lowly Philips TV, must have a real good Progressive scan though. I have a cheap non progressive player, and the video is on par with other much more expensive DVD/TV combos I have seen. I don't think I have any pulldown going on though.

8. chris*b

I just found it. Apparently the player has two component outputs. One for 480i and one for 480p. I am going to play with these tonight to see if I can tell a difference or not.

9. chris*b

Alright. I am completely confused now. As I said it has two component outputs. One is named video out and the other is progressive scan out. It says in the manual that if your TV has progressive scan, that you should use the progressive out. I don't know if that means, that the progressive out is designed to the let the TV do the deinterlacing, or not. I suspect it means that if your TV is capable of displaying 480p you should use the progressive out, and the player does the deinterlacing on that output. If so, I have something to look forward to tonight. Right now I just have it hooked up to the video out. If I am correct, then the Faroudja output should look even better than what I am looking at now.[​IMG]

Edit: I have confirmed that I am using the wrong ouputs. I might as well be running SVHS basically. I'm a dumba$$. [​IMG]

10. John S

John S Producer

Well, don't be to hard on yourself....

This is stuff is crazy with all the different, yet similar in's and out's these days.

I think you got a steal of a deal on that thing.....

Enjoy those movies. And yes, if your TV has an HDTV input that supports 480p, you absolutely want to use the 480p component outs on your DVD player connected to it.

11. chris*b

I hooked it up correctly last night. I really can't tell that much of a difference. The deinterlacer on my Panny must be half way decent. To test it, I put in the Matrix reloaded disc. In the third chapter, where the guy opens the little window on the door, I could see some lines in his glasses. This is when he is getting the 'gift' for Neo from Smith. After switching to the different outputs, I could not see the lines. It is a slight difference, but a difference none the less. Today, I am going to see if the DCDI makes a difference in a couple of scenes from Nemo.

12. John S

John S Producer

It is all about experiementation....

And you have a lot of different ways to run the setup for sure.

I sure see a difference when I turn off line doubling completely in my TV with my cheapo DVD player.