1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I box my UPS guy?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Zen Butler, May 25, 2004.

1. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    What is it with these (some, not all) delivery people? Everyday I ask this guy, "please deliver packages in the shop area not the customer lounge." Everyday, straight through the customer lounge, he cuts in front of customers , interrupts me (literally mid-sentence) "Got packages for you!" Now I know he has heard my very mild tempered request. So do I step it up a notch?

Complain or invite him out back?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Not sure why you would jump straight to fighting him, kind of like going from whispering in someone's ear to a vein popping shout because they're hard of hearing. Hehe...

Since he seems to have little patience or time, I suggest making him waste more of it. Next time tell him that the new rule is no delivers can be accepted in the front and that he'll have to leave the building, drive around to the back, and come back in to get a signature. After he has to do it a few times, I'm sure he'll just go to the back to save himself the hassle. As a bonus, you might get to see him get upset over it [​IMG]

3. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I say kick his ass. LOL[​IMG]

4. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Whatever you do it’s probably in your best interest to be on friendly terms with your UPS delivery person, unless you plan on using another service indefinitely.

It could make the difference between having your packages handled carefully and delivered to you or having your packages drop kicked into his truck & delivered to the business next door or left at the UPS facility for you to pick up.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

You could try the old "good guy / bad guy" routine. Tell him that you personally don't mind if he delivers the packages any way he likes (making you the good guy) but that your BOSS will yell at you if he doesn't go around back (making your boss the bad guy).

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I worked for UPS during one holiday season when I was in college and unless things have changed drastically drivers typically do not load their trucks and it would be very difficult for the driver to leave any packages at the hub. Of course he or she could damage it all they wanted to once they left the hub but if they did this enough times eventually management would catch them.

I would post a little sign at the entrance that stated all deliveries are to be made to the back. If he still comes to the front show him the sign and explain it to him. If he continues to ignore the sign call his supervisor. Believe it or not UPS is very customer centric and if you go about it the right way you will eventually get the type of service you want.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

How about telling him that you are NOT authorized to sign for them anymore? Just keep on repeating it every day he walks in, and yes, do it in mid sentence. Firmly but politely, of course.

I had a UPS delivery made just after 7 AM once to my house. He told me that the package was in the way. It was just an 80 lb. receiver, what's the big deal? [​IMG]

Glenn

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    If you need to punish a UPS driver, order lots of ammo delivered. Man is that stuff heavy. And for sure he'll know what's in the box AND he won't want to give it rough handling.... [​IMG]

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I say kiss his ass. [​IMG]

You don't want to piss off the guy who brings you stuff. [​IMG]

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I was merely being facetious about "boxing." Eh, another thread title of mine that fell flat. It just appears that most of these guys/gals don't listen to a word you say. Unfortunately, only my department can accept packages.

[​IMG] I can always count on Dennis. Your right on man, I think I should stock up on 454 Chevy cylinder heads. Ha, that'll teach the fooker.

11. BobV

BobV Second Unit

I get deliveries everyday in my store... I could tell you some stories, but I won't [​IMG] .

The best advice has already been given, call his supervisor. Call the hub he works out of and complain. Do it everyday, everytime he doesn't deliver correctly. He'll get the idea or get disciplined.

You've done your part. You have nicely informed how you need your packages delivered, it's his job to conform (unless it's some totally ridiculous request). If it was me, I would also be very terse with him in my communication, not angry, not loud, just point of fact. 'This is not the area to be delivered to as I have already mentioned, that is over there. Deliver there or I will be calling your superior each day to complain. If there is no change, I will change couriers and your superiors will be informed as to why.' No 'please', no 'thank you', just 'do it'. Again though, this is only after you have politely requested the deliveries to be done correctly.

Your driver can't damage the goods, it will come back on him because you will be calling everytime there is damage.

I had to deal with a driver a few weeks ago who, when he had had some kind of 'bad day', decided unilaterally to not deliver my package which he had onboard (I traced) and had been parked near my store for over 1/2 an hour with rap music blaring. I called the company later in the day, asked for the pertinent people, and complained that my package had not been delivered. The company called back and said they apologized and that the van had a flat that day and there was not enough time to deliver all the packages. I said, not true he was sitting near my store for over half an hour with 4 good tires. the next day the driver came in very sheepishly and was told he was supposed to apologize profusely (I am one of this courier's largest customers on this run). I explained to him that when I ship product I expect it on the day its supposed to be here and count on it being here. He had cost me a $750 sale. I told him "I can not have a courier driver who unilaterally decides what, where, and when to deliver. I need a driver who does his job as per instructions... do that and we will have a good working relationship."

Oh, and yes, if it takes a while for him to do it right start wasting more of his time, as one already mentioned. He'll get the idea through both avenues.

Anyways, I know that's not specific to your situation, but the only way to deal with it, in my opinion, is to go up the ladder.

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

These kind of threads always remind me of fight club

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Chris, you forgot the first rule...

14. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

UPS sucks, I suggest smoking him in the nuts. He'll learn.

[​IMG]

15. DaveSarcevic

DaveSarcevic Agent

Not to change the subject, but a few days a week I drive by one of their distribution centers. T alk about some a**hole drivers. Ive been cut off repeatedly and seen others been cutoff by some of the reckless driver. Go ahead park anywhere you want. Oh does this road have heavy traffic on it, go ahead and park halfway into the lane. We'll look out for you. I wouldn't usually complain, but I've seen this situated repeatedly.

16. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    Like Andy told Barney when Barney was contemplating teaching Ernest T. Bass a thing or two:

"He'll kill you" [​IMG]